Re: [XTalk] HJ, Religion and Politics

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 11:51 AM
      Linda & Ernest Pennells wrote:

      > Although there has always been a strong interest in the historical context
      > of the bible, a specific focus upon political struggle visible within the
      > Gospels seems relatively new. I guess Reimarus, Eisler and Brandon sounded
      > the wake-up call for looking at the gospels through a politician's eyes.

      a politician's eyes??

      Taking you to mean "through a 'political' reading, your assertion above ignores, I
      think, the work of the such members of Chicago School in the 20s and 30s as F.C.
      Grant and Shirley Jackson Case and even the work done by Foakes-Jackson in their
      Background to Acts Volumes..

      > On my shelf I have Ched Myers "Binding the Strong Man"; and Richard
      > Horsley, "Jesus and Empire". Martin Goodman, "The Ruling Class of Judaea";
      > and William Herzog, "Jesus, Justice and the Reign of God", paint the
      > aristocratic priesthood in political colours.
      >
      > I would appreciate recommendations on other recent published work that
      > promotes a political-economic reading of the Gospels.

      To name a few: John Howard Yoder's _The Politics of Jesus_; George Edwards' _Jesus
      and the Politics of Violence_; Marcus Borg's _Conflict, Politics, and Holiness in
      the Teaching of Jesus; _Warren Carter's commentary on Matthew and his _Matthew and
      Empire_; Horsley's _Jesus and the Spiral of Violence_and his _The Message and the
      Kingdon_; N.T. Wright's Jesus and the Victory of God_. See too Martin Hengel's
      _The Zealots_ and his _Victory Over Violence_.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...