HJ, Religion and Politics

  • Linda & Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2004
      Although there has always been a strong interest in the historical context
      of the bible, a specific focus upon political struggle visible within the
      Gospels seems relatively new. I guess Reimarus, Eisler and Brandon sounded
      the wake-up call for looking at the gospels through a politician's eyes.

      On my shelf I have Ched Myers "Binding the Strong Man"; and Richard
      Horsley, "Jesus and Empire". Martin Goodman, "The Ruling Class of Judaea";
      and William Herzog, "Jesus, Justice and the Reign of God", paint the
      aristocratic priesthood in political colours.

      I would appreciate recommendations on other recent published work that
      promotes a political-economic reading of the Gospels.

      Regards,

      Ernie Pennells
      220 - 50 Songhees Road, Victoria BC, Canada V9A 7J4
      http://www.lukeacts.com
      Tel: (250) 381 5674