Re: [XTalk] Re: Why Luke? Two early 'witnesses' of Farrer's theory?

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2004
      Bob,

      John uses the older gospels creatively. In the passion story he is intent on
      having Jesus crucified on Nisan 14, the day pashal lambs were slaughtered in
      the temple. Why he did this deviating from the synoptic gospels is a long
      and involved story which I pursued extensively in my book, the Open Tomb.
      Briefly, under King Herod Agrippa I (40-44) the festival calendar was
      probably altered. According to the priestly calendar the first day of the
      fifty days of Pentecost should always fall on a Sunday (Lev 23,15). The
      Pharisees opted for Nisan 16, the day after Pasasover.
      In John's calendar John meets the requirement of both. He has the open tomb
      story on the Sunday after Pesach. And he has the story on Nisan 16, the
      Pharisaic calendar that had become official in the synagogue since Agrippa
      I. John wrote a 'spiritual' gospel and he looked for a compromise in this
      matter of the 'Passover of the ioudaioi'.

      cordially

      Karel.