Re: [XTalk] Matson on Goodacre

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2004
      On 24 May 2004 at 22:19, Joseph Weaks wrote:

      > This is not what I would consider an insightful review, more like a
      > sketchy summary. I used Goodacre's book as a textbook in my seminar
      > last Fall. A chief strong point is that it is "accessible for
      > undergraduate students" (as Matson rightly pointed out). On a side
      > note, it was entirely INACCESSIBLE in terms of our campus bookstore
      > trying to obtain copies from the distributer. We ended up having to
      > nab copies from Amazon/CBD/Bookfinder etc. That was very
      > disappointing.

      Thanks for the kind words. I was unlucky with the timing --
      Sheffield Academic Press brought it out at just the time that they
      had been bought up by Continuum and the distribution / marketing was
      poor. I've heard other stories like the one you tell, and not just
      in the US. But T & T Clark International have done an excellent job
      in reissuing and remarketing it this month, so in that sense Matson's
      review is timely.

      Mark
      Graduate Institute for Theology and Religion
      Dept of Theology
      University of Birmingham
      Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.: +44 121 414 7512
      Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax.: +44 121 415 8376

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com