Re: [XTalk] Lost Gospels

    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2004
      Jim West wrote:

      > At 04:30 PM 5/21/04 -0400, you wrote:
      >
      > >"As any good historian knows, the documents closest to the source of the
      > >rise of the movement are likely to reveal most about the origins of a
      > >religious group."
      >
      > I'm not so sure that this is true anyway. The documents closest to the rise
      > of Hitler certainly do not rightly represent who or what he was.

      But since the issue is not who or what he was, but who his followers believed he
      was, I think your complaint is misplaced.

      > Writers in
      > ancient times tended to be highly motivated to paint their hero's a specific
      > color without any interest in their foibles. If I were writing a biography
      > of Zwingli I may or may not include the story of his fornication- but his
      > earliest biographer did NOT include it. So the "earlier is better history
      > notion" doesn't really hold water.

      Umm, aren't you not only using a canon of historiography that was not that of the
      "earliest" writers, but also assuming that, unlike the "earlier writers", the
      "later" writers were working as you would work?

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...