[XTalk] Crossan's BOC: Problems with Tax Collectors&Sinners

  • Legendmyth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 1999
      It has been my recent understanding that the tax collectors that Jesus was
      said to consort with were part of the exploited class--born a tax collector,
      always a tax collector, with very little chance of escape from an enforced
      "class occupation," reviled by all, etc. Is this completely false?

      I like Crossan's book, but I found his chapter on "The Companionship and the
      Kingdom," especially his sub-chapter on Tax Collectors and Sinners"
      unconvincing. Part of this is that his understanding of tax collector as
      occupation is a voluntary occupation that supports the exploiting class.

      Your thoughts?

      Sarah DiAngelo