sad news

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      I quote :

      " Marie-Emile Boismard died peacefull in his sleep at the Ecole Biblique
      about 6 pm on Friday 23 April 2004. He was in his 88th year. [...]

      [...] In addition Boismard published at least 95 articles, and over 450
      book reviews. His two last articles are :
      * 'Jésus a-t-il usé de violence en chassant les vendeurs du Temple?' RB
      110 (2003) 33-37.
      * 'Étude sur le papyrus copte de l'évangile de Matthieu provenant de la
      collection Schoyen' RB 110 (2003) 387-98."

      http://ebaf.op.org/wsw/en/boismard.html
      http://ebaf.op.org/english/

      a+
      manu
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        I wrote the following intellectual obituary of Boismard for my blog:

        Mark Goodacre at the NT Gateway Weblog mentioned the passing of Marie-Emile
        Boismard. This giant of synoptic source criticism will be sorely missed.

        Boismard was a provocative critic who has delved into the synoptic problem
        and the question of Acts, with an intense text-critical interest that is
        often lacking in many 20th century source critics. For some reason, textual
        critics are more willing to postulate a lost ancestor than source critics (I
        have my ideas why), and Boismard was no exception. His text-critical approach
        has led him to postulate a whole series of hypothetical ancestral documents,
        variously identified as pre-Luke and proto-Luke, pre-Mark, etc., for
        explaining the richness of the synoptic data. Needless to say, with the
        exception of some of his immediate colleagues, his specific ideas have not
        been generally adopted. Although I too cannot accept everything he has
        postulated, I do feel that there may indeed lie a few unnoticed pearls of
        wisdom in his scholarship, particularly regarding the relationship between
        Matthew and Mark (which I fear might not be so straightforward as to be one
        of direct dependence), and for that reason it would be beneficial to
        continue studying what Boismard has published.

        Although Boismard wrote mainly in French (the one saving grace of my high
        school age decision to study French instead of German!), some of his work
        has been translated into English. The most notable of these includes: "The
        Two-Source Theory as an Impasse," NTS 26 (1979): 1-17. The basic statement
        of his position can be found in his statement of the case at the 1984
        Jerusalem Symposium: "Théorie des niveaux multiples" [Multiple-Stage Theory]
        in Dungan, ed., The Interrelations of the Gospels (BETL 90; Leuven, 1990),
        231-243

        Unfortunately, due to the complexity of his theories, German and
        English-language scholarship never really knew quite what to make of
        Boismard's ideas or how to respond to them, and he has been too commonly
        dismissed for being "too complicated" than truly engaged. A notable
        exception to this is John S. Kloppenborg-Verbin, Excavating Q: The History
        and Setting of the Sayings Gospel (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2000), 43-50,
        which contains one of the most extensive and perceptive engagements with
        Boismard in English-language scholarship. (It is precisely because
        Kloppenborg had devoted so much space to Boismard instead of to Goulder that
        I feel that Christopher Tuckett's defence of Q remains the strongest to
        date, but perhaps Kloppenborg and Tuckett should be viewed as complementary,
        not as substitutes, since Tuckett defends Q against simpler solutions and
        Kloppenborg against more complicated ones.)

        I'm sure that Boismard has touched more people lives than those of source
        critics, but I do know that his contributions to synoptic source criticism
        have left it for the better. Who will carry Boismard's torch will remain to
        be seen, but I hope that the long line of French Roman Catholic source
        critics of unquestionable intelligence and brilliance (Vaganay, Benoit,
        etc.) will not come to an end with the passing of Boismard.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...