Re: [XTalk] Hyam Maccoby Obit

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2004
      There was surprise and sadness this morning as I read about Hyam Maccoby's
      passing. I will miss corresponding with him and we all will miss his
      scholarship.

      http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/story.jsp?story=517617

      Jack
      -----

      Dakma daEBadton l'chad min hoLEYN AHi zeUOreh ly haw EBadton

      Jack Kilmon
      San Marcos, Tx
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/

      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2004
        I too am very distressed to hear this.
        I have enjoyed corresponding with him as well.
        Thank you for the message.
        Baruch haddayan ha'emet.
        Liz Fried

        > > Having rescued a gathering of five thousand in the wilderness from the
        > > ignominy of a failed insurrectionist rally, turning it into a
        peaceful
        > > celebration of YHWH's provision of manna for his starving people,
        Jesus
        > > determines to march on Jerusalem - not against Rome. He appoints his
        own
        > > ruling council; tells them to broadcast the arrival of the KofG;
        speaks
        > > constantly about riches and poverty; is welcomed at Jerusalem by a
        cheering
        > > crowd who really want an insurrectionist figurehead (Barabbas will
        do);
        > > demonstrates against temple tax (not against taxes to Caesar); and
        > > denounces wicked vintners (the Sanhedrin), instead of Rome.
        > >

        > Umm, just one point. Can the incident in the Temple -- which is what I
        presume
        > you are referring to when you speak of Jesus demonstrating against the
        temple tax
        > -- really be seen as a demonstration against the Temple Tax, the text
        that
        all
        > male Jews were bound to pay for the maintenance of the Temple? Is the
        > collection/payment of this tax really what Luke presumes is going on
        when
        Jesus
        > throws out the money changes and the animal sellers?
        >
        > And what in Luke indicates that the 5000 Jesus fed were gathered for an
        > insurrectionist rally?
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey
        >
        > --