Re: [XTalk] Herod Antipas

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2004
      At 07:03 PM 5/2/04 +0100, you wrote:

      >What about Matt. 11.7-8 // Luke 7.24-25? ""What did you go out into
      >the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 7:25 What did you
      >go out to see? A man dressed in fancy clothes? Look, those who wear
      >fancy clothes and live in luxury are in kings' courts!" Theissen
      >argues that this is a reference to Herod Antipas, who had reeds on
      >his coins and who, of course, is the obvious contender for someone
      >who lives royal luxury when one is speaking to a bunch of Galileans
      >about John the Baptist. Could the "reed shaken by the wind" also be
      >a clever play on a spineless, unmanly character, unable to stand up
      >to his wife when she demands something of him?

      Is the "reed" imagery used in other Greek literature to describe a person of
      effeminate character?

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Theology Weblog
      http://petrosbaptist.blogspot.com -- Petros Baptist Weblog
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2004
        > >What about Matt. 11.7-8 // Luke 7.24-25? ""What did you go out into
        > >the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 7:25 What did you
        > >go out to see? A man dressed in fancy clothes? Look, those who wear
        > >fancy clothes and live in luxury are in kings' courts!" Theissen
        > >argues that this is a reference to Herod Antipas, who had reeds on
        > >his coins and who, of course, is the obvious contender for someone
        > >who lives royal luxury when one is speaking to a bunch of Galileans
        > >about John the Baptist. Could the "reed shaken by the wind" also be
        > >a clever play on a spineless, unmanly character, unable to stand up
        > >to his wife when she demands something of him?
        >
        > Is the "reed" imagery used in other Greek literature to describe a person
        of
        > effeminate character?

        I think the effeminacy of Herod Antipas is strictly out of the nun's
        hallucinations which form a great bulk of Gibson's movie.

        Jack Kilmon
        San Marcos, TX
      • Linda & Ernest Pennells
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2004
          His mother was a Samaritan. His father's forebears were Idumaean, and
          opinions differed as to how many generations must pass before the
          descendants of a convert became proper Jews. What does that make Antipas?

          He played second fiddle to Archelaus when it came to divvying up the
          territory. His marriage to a royal niece, who had the audacity to divorce
          his brother before contracting another dubious marriage and insisted she be
          his one and only wife, provoked a war.

          None of this proves him effeminate, but does set him up as the butt of
          caustic humour, and malicious gossip: Drunkenness may have been routine
          for a man educated in Rome. Succumbing to the allures of his young wife's
          even younger daughter. Presenting her with JBap's head on a platter.
          Thinking Jesus might be JBap redivivus. Asking for a stunt miracle at
          Jesus' arraignment. He fell out with Pilate as well as Aretas.

          How does this stack up against the reputation of your regular wannabe
          monarch of the era?

          Regards,

          Ernie Pennells
          220 - 50 Songhees Road, Victoria BC, Canada V9A 7J4
          http://www.lukeacts.com
          Tel: (250) 381 5674