Re: [XTalk] Virus warning

  • Bob Dietel
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 7:07 AM
      Gentle ones --

      Actually it is far more likely that, instead of a virus infection,
      someone's machine address has been "spoofed" -- stolen by
      a zombie machine prowling for unprotected ports and data.
      Anti-virus protection is a must, of course, but so also is a
      powerful firewall. One of the best is ZoneAlarm, available
      in a free version from ZoneLabs.com. In the meantime,
      as Rev Buglass correctly advises, do NOT open those
      extensions!

      --

      --Bob Dietel

      --dietelb@...

      --North Cascades Episcopal Missions
      -- St Aidan/Camano Island
      -- Transfiguration/Darrington
      -- St Martin & St Francis/Rockport
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 7:59 AM
        Tony,

        >>Am I the only one receiving emails allegedly direct from members of this
        list entitled {DANGEROUS} Re: [Xtalk] Herod Antipas"?

        So far it has arrived from Jim West, Bob Webb, and twice from Jack Kilmon.
        The content of the email is a warning that virus-infected material has been
        removed, and that I should read the attached "Virus Warning.txt" for further
        details - but there is no attachment. That led me to assume that it had
        come through the list, and the attachment had been stripped. It was only
        when two from Jack arrived this morning that I realised they were coming
        direct -or at least pretending to.<<

        Along with the others, I'd strongly recommend NOT ever opening a message
        attached to a purported warning message. I can't think of one single virus
        protection programs that would add an attachment, as this is the #1 trick
        used by viruses to propagate.

        It's interesting that it only seems to follow that one thread. I could
        understand if they were HTML formatted messages, as these can sometimes
        carry a trojan program in the HTML markup code, but all of them were text
        messages from the first one by Jim. None of them received by me have had an
        attachment or warning.

        This tactic of following a thread is something new. Beware!

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA

        PS: Just updated definitions that were 2 months out of date, then scanned,
        but found no viruses.
      • Rikk Watts
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 10:16 AM
          There is another alternative...

          buy a Mac (and get the best bible software in the world.. Accordance)

          From a (cheeky) ex-IBM systems engineer... ;)

          Rikk