Re: [XTalk] Virus warning

  • Bob Dietel
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2004
      Gentle ones --

      Actually it is far more likely that, instead of a virus infection,
      someone's machine address has been "spoofed" -- stolen by
      a zombie machine prowling for unprotected ports and data.
      Anti-virus protection is a must, of course, but so also is a
      powerful firewall. One of the best is ZoneAlarm, available
      in a free version from ZoneLabs.com. In the meantime,
      as Rev Buglass correctly advises, do NOT open those
      extensions!

      --

      --Bob Dietel

      --dietelb@...

      --North Cascades Episcopal Missions
      -- St Aidan/Camano Island
      -- Transfiguration/Darrington
      -- St Martin & St Francis/Rockport
    • Bob Webb
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        I did send a legitimate posting. My virus scanning is up to date, and I just
        scanned my complete hard drive yesterday. No problems.

        Can someone else confirm that these e-mails were infected?

        Bob Webb.

      • David C. Hindley
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2004
          Tony,

          >>Am I the only one receiving emails allegedly direct from members of this
          list entitled {DANGEROUS} Re: [Xtalk] Herod Antipas"?

          So far it has arrived from Jim West, Bob Webb, and twice from Jack Kilmon.
          The content of the email is a warning that virus-infected material has been
          removed, and that I should read the attached "Virus Warning.txt" for further
          details - but there is no attachment. That led me to assume that it had
          come through the list, and the attachment had been stripped. It was only
          when two from Jack arrived this morning that I realised they were coming
          direct -or at least pretending to.<<

          Along with the others, I'd strongly recommend NOT ever opening a message
          attached to a purported warning message. I can't think of one single virus
          protection programs that would add an attachment, as this is the #1 trick
          used by viruses to propagate.

          It's interesting that it only seems to follow that one thread. I could
          understand if they were HTML formatted messages, as these can sometimes
          carry a trojan program in the HTML markup code, but all of them were text
          messages from the first one by Jim. None of them received by me have had an
          attachment or warning.

          This tactic of following a thread is something new. Beware!

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA

          PS: Just updated definitions that were 2 months out of date, then scanned,
          but found no viruses.
        • Rikk Watts
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2004
            There is another alternative...

            buy a Mac (and get the best bible software in the world.. Accordance)

            From a (cheeky) ex-IBM systems engineer... ;)

            Rikk