Re: [XTalk] Virus warning

  • Anthony Buglass
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2004
      Am I the only one receiving emails allegedly direct from members of this list entitled "{DANGEROUS} Re: [Xtalk] Herod Antipas"?

      So far it has arrived from Jim West, Bob Webb, and twice from Jack Kilmon. The content of the email is a warning that virus-infected material has been removed, and that I should read the attached "Virus Warning.txt" for further details - but there is no attachment. That led me to assume that it had come through the list, and the attachment had been stripped. It was only when two from Jack arrived this morning that I realised they were coming direct -or at least pretending to.

      There is a real virus behind this - if you get a "virus warning.txt" attachment, please do not open it, because that is where the virus lives. Someone whose PC contains our email addresses is infected and is sending emails as if from those members of the list. It is most likely that it is another member of the list who is infected.

      Please make sure your anti-virus protection is up to date, and take the usual precautions. Someone hasn't, and will find out when they scan that they've got something.

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Pickering Methodist Circuit

    • Bob Dietel
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        Gentle ones --

        Actually it is far more likely that, instead of a virus infection,
        someone's machine address has been "spoofed" -- stolen by
        a zombie machine prowling for unprotected ports and data.
        Anti-virus protection is a must, of course, but so also is a
        powerful firewall. One of the best is ZoneAlarm, available
        in a free version from ZoneLabs.com. In the meantime,
        as Rev Buglass correctly advises, do NOT open those
        extensions!

        --

        --Bob Dietel

        --dietelb@...

        --North Cascades Episcopal Missions
        -- St Aidan/Camano Island
        -- Transfiguration/Darrington
        -- St Martin & St Francis/Rockport
      • Bob Webb
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2004
          I did send a legitimate posting. My virus scanning is up to date, and I just
          scanned my complete hard drive yesterday. No problems.

          Can someone else confirm that these e-mails were infected?

          Bob Webb.

        • David C. Hindley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2004
            Tony,

            >>Am I the only one receiving emails allegedly direct from members of this
            list entitled {DANGEROUS} Re: [Xtalk] Herod Antipas"?

            So far it has arrived from Jim West, Bob Webb, and twice from Jack Kilmon.
            The content of the email is a warning that virus-infected material has been
            removed, and that I should read the attached "Virus Warning.txt" for further
            details - but there is no attachment. That led me to assume that it had
            come through the list, and the attachment had been stripped. It was only
            when two from Jack arrived this morning that I realised they were coming
            direct -or at least pretending to.<<

            Along with the others, I'd strongly recommend NOT ever opening a message
            attached to a purported warning message. I can't think of one single virus
            protection programs that would add an attachment, as this is the #1 trick
            used by viruses to propagate.

            It's interesting that it only seems to follow that one thread. I could
            understand if they were HTML formatted messages, as these can sometimes
            carry a trojan program in the HTML markup code, but all of them were text
            messages from the first one by Jim. None of them received by me have had an
            attachment or warning.

            This tactic of following a thread is something new. Beware!

            Respectfully,

            Dave Hindley
            Cleveland, Ohio, USA

            PS: Just updated definitions that were 2 months out of date, then scanned,
            but found no viruses.
          • Rikk Watts
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2004
              There is another alternative...

              buy a Mac (and get the best bible software in the world.. Accordance)

              From a (cheeky) ex-IBM systems engineer... ;)

              Rikk