Re: [XTalk] Was Jesus married? (Was: da vinci)

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 27, 2004
      From: "nancy" <nljmail@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 11:55 AM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Was Jesus married? (Was: da vinci)

      > Hi,
      >
      > In Spong's "Born of a Woman" chapter 13 is a speculation on the
      possibility
      > of Jesus' marriage to Mary M.
      >
      > One point he made, and I've never seen it elsewhere, is that Magdalene
      > meant "Great", I've seen of Magdala (town), I've seen that it meant
      > washerwoman (from questionable sources). Has anyone else ever brought up
      > that Magdalene means "Great Mary". He points out that Mary M is mentioned
      > in all 4 gospels and is apparently much more important than Jesus' mother,
      > Mary in the early church.

      I don't know where the idea of "great" came from and it must be from
      mem(qubbutz)gimel(shwa)dalet(qamatz)lamed. It is not only pronounced
      moogeDAL it is the hoph of gadOL (great) as in Shabbat Gadol. Aramaic
      MIGdal mem(hiriq qatan)gimel(shwa)dalet(qamatz)lamed means "Tower" and the
      town in Galilee by Lake gennesseret was called Migdal Nunaiya (Tower of
      fish) and was a town where the fishing industries processed their fish.

      JK