Re: [XTalk] early evidence of Passion responsibility

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 2, 2004
      At 06:18 AM 4/2/04 -0800, you wrote:
      >> But what do you make of
      >> non-Jewish sources like Tacitus which do make Pilate solely
      >> responsible?

      Rikk replied
      >Well I'm not so sure. Is he really dealing with the issue of responsibility
      >or simply explaining the origins of the movement to the Romans in Roman
      >terms? I think its the latter.

      I submit for consideration:
      perhaps Tacitus makes Pilate wholly responsible because he has his onw
      agenda regarding Pilate. Or perhaps the Romans wouldn't have cared very
      much "who started the fight". They would have been more interested in what
      the procurator did to solve the problem. Either of these possibilites are
      reasonable when it comes to why Tacitus could and would speak solely of
      Pilate's actions without bothering to mention the prime cause, the Jewish
      leadership and its actions.

      best

      Jim
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog
    • Mike Grondin
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 4, 2004
        --- Rikk Watts wrote:
        > (not sure I've been chattin' with Gordon .. do you mean Steve?)..

        No. What I was thinking of was a note I seem to recall wherein
        Gordon dismissed the Jewish evidence with little explanation. That
        you've chatted hardly at all with the main target of your argument I
        find rather ironic - and somewhat frustrating as well. I would like
        to have seen a more robust defense from Gordon than what he offered.
        But you also have had several opportunities to respond to relevant
        portions of Gordon's notes to others, and haven't done so.

        Mike Grondin