Re: Jesus' titles and Roman political decrees

  • Mike McLafferty
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1 11:30 AM
      Gordon Raynal wrote (#15536):

      > [...] Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
      > remember anyone entertaining that Jesus thought
      > of himself as the high priest (as in the way he's
      > spoken about in Hebrews). [...]

      I realize this thread has raveled in another direction (which I've
      followed), and I acknowledge I'm only a privileged layman lurker on this
      list, but if I may, I'd recommend Margaret Barker. It is one of her central
      theses, running as a consistent thread through her eight books* spanning
      three decades, that a Hist J had a self-conception as Great High Priest in
      the ancient tradition of the first temple (and that Xianity was a
      survival/revival of the first temple cult). See most recently: *The Great
      High Priest: The Temple Roots of Christian Liturgy*, T&T Clark Ltd, 2003,
      ISBN 0 567 08942 8 (paper), 423pp. http://tinyurl.com/2e2hu

      (I'm not equipped to critique or defend Barker, just saw something I could
      respond to.)

      Michael McLafferty
      Portland, Oregon, USA
      no affiliation

      *Books by Margaret Barker:
      1) The Older Testament (1987)
      2) The Lost Prophet (1988)
      3) The Gate of Heaven (1991)
      4) The Great Angel (1992)
      5) On Earth as It Is in Heaven (1995)
      6) The Risen Lord (1996)
      7) The Revelation of Jesus Christ (2000)
      8) The Great High Priest (2003)
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1 1:39 PM
        In addition to the work of Margaret Barker mentioned by Mike
        McLafferty, see also Crispin H. T. Fletcher-Louis, "Jesus and the
        High Priest" at http://www.marquette.edu/maqom/jesus.pdf (quality of
        the PDF a bit poor).

        Mark
        -----------------------------
        Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
        Dept of Theology
        University of Birmingham
        Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
        Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2 4:58 AM
          Hi Mark,
          Thanks for the citation. I went to it and after the first page it's
          basically unreadable on my computer. Any thoughts about this work?

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC
          ----------

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 6 11:26 AM
            At 11:56 AM 3/31/2004 -0600, Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

            >But "good news" does in the Priene inscrition about Augustus. Have a look at
            >Craig Evans' article on the incipit in Mk available at:
            >
            ><http://divinity.mcmaster.ca/pages/jgrchj/JGRChJ1-5_Evans.pdf>http://divinity.mcmaster.ca/pages/jgrchj/JGRChJ1-5_Evans.pdf
            >
            >Jeffrey

            Reviving an old thread...
            One of the interesting things about the Jennings special last night is that
            they spent some time on the extent to which Paul's language about Jesus was
            political. For example, most of his "titles" were political rather than
            religious (unless you count "son of man", I suppose). Tom Wright spoke to
            this point, as did several others, I think.

            Another interesting point re: early critical issues was that to begin with,
            salvation was perhaps not as much of an issue as who you could eat with
            (ref. to Galatians 2:12), according to a sound bite from Alan Segal.