Josephus (was: Re: [XTalk] early evidence of Passion responsibility)

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      At 11:32 PM on March 31, Rikk Watts wrote in response to Steve Black:

      > Where is your evidence that
      > Josephus got his story from the Christians? What elements in the text
      > clearly betray Christian influence? (and one cannot say "Jewish
      > responsibility" since that is the very point at issue). Failing that, what
      > is the problem with taking his text as it stands: a Jewish author's
      > independent view on the death of Jesus?

      Rikk,

      What do you mean by "his text as it stands"? Are you advocating the
      authenticity of the Testimonium "as it stands" as opposed to some
      hypothetical underlying version? Your question "What elements in the text
      clearly betray Christian influence?" sure makes it sound like you are.

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      P.S. I'm assuming this is not an April Fools Day thing.

      kaolson@...
    • Dr. Rikk E. Watts (Cantab)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
        HI Ken,

        Thanks for the question. If you look at the passage in question there are
        some later Christian interpolations but they do not bear on the issue in
        question. But by text as stands I was referring to what Josephus seems
        plainly to say in the non-interpolated and relevant section. Does this
        help? My apologies if my language was unclear.

        regards
        Rikk