Re: [XTalk] Jesus' titles and Roman political decrees

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi Jeffery

      >Thanks, Gordon, for the suggestion. I'll try to look
      >into it.

      Hope this does prove interesting for you. For your class paper that coin
      site that I put on the list has a search engine and many handy links to get
      to pictures of the coins that show all these inscriptions and even
      picturings related to the Imperial descrees. Easy to download a picture and
      use if for a class handout.

      >P.S. Note the spelling of my name (to distinguish me
      >from Jeffrey Gibson, a far better scholar than I).

      Sorry for my mis-typing. I did know who I was writing too:)! My typing
      skills... well they vary:)!

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC
    • Mike McLafferty
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2004
        Gordon Raynal wrote (#15536):

        > [...] Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
        > remember anyone entertaining that Jesus thought
        > of himself as the high priest (as in the way he's
        > spoken about in Hebrews). [...]

        I realize this thread has raveled in another direction (which I've
        followed), and I acknowledge I'm only a privileged layman lurker on this
        list, but if I may, I'd recommend Margaret Barker. It is one of her central
        theses, running as a consistent thread through her eight books* spanning
        three decades, that a Hist J had a self-conception as Great High Priest in
        the ancient tradition of the first temple (and that Xianity was a
        survival/revival of the first temple cult). See most recently: *The Great
        High Priest: The Temple Roots of Christian Liturgy*, T&T Clark Ltd, 2003,
        ISBN 0 567 08942 8 (paper), 423pp. http://tinyurl.com/2e2hu

        (I'm not equipped to critique or defend Barker, just saw something I could
        respond to.)

        Michael McLafferty
        Portland, Oregon, USA
        no affiliation

        *Books by Margaret Barker:
        1) The Older Testament (1987)
        2) The Lost Prophet (1988)
        3) The Gate of Heaven (1991)
        4) The Great Angel (1992)
        5) On Earth as It Is in Heaven (1995)
        6) The Risen Lord (1996)
        7) The Revelation of Jesus Christ (2000)
        8) The Great High Priest (2003)
      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2004
          In addition to the work of Margaret Barker mentioned by Mike
          McLafferty, see also Crispin H. T. Fletcher-Louis, "Jesus and the
          High Priest" at http://www.marquette.edu/maqom/jesus.pdf (quality of
          the PDF a bit poor).

          Mark
          -----------------------------
          Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
          Dept of Theology
          University of Birmingham
          Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
          Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

          http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2004
            Hi Mark,
            Thanks for the citation. I went to it and after the first page it's
            basically unreadable on my computer. Any thoughts about this work?

            Gordon Raynal
            Inman, SC
            ----------

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
              At 11:56 AM 3/31/2004 -0600, Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

              >But "good news" does in the Priene inscrition about Augustus. Have a look at
              >Craig Evans' article on the incipit in Mk available at:
              >
              ><http://divinity.mcmaster.ca/pages/jgrchj/JGRChJ1-5_Evans.pdf>http://divinity.mcmaster.ca/pages/jgrchj/JGRChJ1-5_Evans.pdf
              >
              >Jeffrey

              Reviving an old thread...
              One of the interesting things about the Jennings special last night is that
              they spent some time on the extent to which Paul's language about Jesus was
              political. For example, most of his "titles" were political rather than
              religious (unless you count "son of man", I suppose). Tom Wright spoke to
              this point, as did several others, I think.

              Another interesting point re: early critical issues was that to begin with,
              salvation was perhaps not as much of an issue as who you could eat with
              (ref. to Galatians 2:12), according to a sound bite from Alan Segal.