Re: [XTalk] early evidence of Passion responsibility

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 1, 2004
      Incidently, I noticed that Hegesippus, quoted by
      Eusebius, H. e. ii, 23 (as cited in Ropes, Commentary
      on James, and I guess that the citation is to the
      History of the Church), states that the Pharisees and
      scribes requested of James the Just:

      "We entreat thee, restrain the people, since it has
      gone astray unto Jesus, holding him to be the Christ."

      Since I've already deleted the citations from the
      Jewish sources, then I can't be sure, but wasn't the
      charge that Jesus led Israel astray?

      I would suspect that the link between the Jewish
      sources and the Christian passion stories comes not
      directly from the gospels but from apocryphal spinoffs
      and stories that could be found in a lot of writings
      of the first three or four centuries when Christianity
      and Judaism were still in close contact and in some
      places hardly distinguished. Recall that even in the
      fourth century some Christians were still attending
      the synagogue on the Sabbath.

      It might be interesting to look into the Aramaic and
      Syriac Christian writings, for these often give
      evidence of close links to Judaism.

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      Office:

      Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
      Korea University
      136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
      Seoul
      South Korea

      Home:

      Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Seo-Dong 125-2
      Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
      447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
      South Korea

    • Mike Grondin
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 4, 2004
        --- Rikk Watts wrote:
        > (not sure I've been chattin' with Gordon .. do you mean Steve?)..

        No. What I was thinking of was a note I seem to recall wherein
        Gordon dismissed the Jewish evidence with little explanation. That
        you've chatted hardly at all with the main target of your argument I
        find rather ironic - and somewhat frustrating as well. I would like
        to have seen a more robust defense from Gordon than what he offered.
        But you also have had several opportunities to respond to relevant
        portions of Gordon's notes to others, and haven't done so.

        Mike Grondin