[XTalk] Re: Human Images on Coins - Mk 12:16-17

  • Dennis Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 1999
      It should be noted that J apparently did not have such a coin in his
      possession. In the story, he had to ask someone to show an example to him,
      and presumably didn't touch it himself. That says something about his
      attitude towards such an "image coin".

      Jesus seems to say to his challengers here that anything made in the image
      of a person should be dedicated to it's rightful owner--the coin to the
      emperor, the man to God.

      Regards, Dennis Sullivan (webwatcher for the Jerusalem School for Synoptic
      Research)