[XTalk] Re: HJ Journal

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 1999
      I want to apologize for lighting this fire and then disappearing for a
      while to leave you all tending the flames but this has been a very busy
      week for me. Fortunately, the crystallization process has gone very
      well without me and I want to commend everyone for the careful thought
      that has been going into the planning. Jeff has been terrific in
      keeping the ball rolling. I am working on one of the "proto-pages" and
      expect to be able to complete that soon.

      As for the debate on the "Christian Origins" aspect, my feeling is that
      a Journal for Historical Jesus Studies (JHJS?) automatically covers
      those "origins" which are related to the bedrock traditions when they
      are limited to the time and culture in which the HJ walked and spoke.
      In that respect, what Epiphanius, Hegesippus, etal may have written
      about the HJ is pertinent. I would be concerned that the inclusion of
      "..and Christian Origins" would lead to submissions about the origins of
      the Christian Church...such as what Augustine wrote, Tertullian, etc in
      the context of the formation of Christianity. To be blunt, the HJ was
      not a Christian...nor would he have been.

      In any event, I will be away for the weekend to rest my weary bones from
      this very hectic business week and will rejoin the fray when I return.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 1999
        At 08:14 PM 8/27/99 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
        >As for the debate on the "Christian Origins" aspect, my feeling is that
        >a Journal for Historical Jesus Studies (JHJS?) automatically covers
        >those "origins" which are related to the bedrock traditions when they
        >are limited to the time and culture in which the HJ walked and spoke.
        >In that respect, what Epiphanius, Hegesippus, etal may have written
        >about the HJ is pertinent. I would be concerned that the inclusion of
        >"..and Christian Origins" would lead to submissions about the origins of
        >the Christian Church...such as what Augustine wrote, Tertullian, etc in
        >the context of the formation of Christianity. To be blunt, the HJ was
        >not a Christian...nor would he have been.

        If we really want to exclude Polycarp, Augustine, and Tertullian,
        then a title like "Journal for the Historical Jesus and First
        Century Christianity" or even "Journal of First Century
        Christianity" would do the trick.

        I suspect, however, that these and "Christian Origins" titles
        would not really be acceptable because of Paul. As I
        understand it, Pauline Christianity is not to be the focus of
        this journal unless Pauline Christianity intersects with
        the Historical Jesus. (Pauline Christianity deserves its
        own journal.)

        Among the simple "Historical Jesus" titles, I have a
        preference for "Historical Jesus Studies" because of its
        brevity and that "studies" is less restrictive that "Journal
        for the Historical Jesus." The "Quest" title is clever from
        a literary or self-referential perspective, but it clashes
        with my notion of the Historical Jesus studies. "Quest"
        suggests the knights of the round table, whereas I feel that
        the analogy of the five blind men and the elephant is more
        apt.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...