sad news

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 11:58 AM
      With sadness I pass on this note I just received:

      Liebe Liste -
      bei unserer Rückkehr aus den Skiferien habe ich die Nachricht vorgefunden,
      daß am 21.Februar Prof.Dr. Jürgen Roloff im Alter von 73 Jahren verstorben ist.

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

      "Critics are like eunuchs. They know what is supposed to happen, but they
      can't do it themselves". Soren Kierkegaard
    • Emmanuel Fritsch
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        I quote :

        " Marie-Emile Boismard died peacefull in his sleep at the Ecole Biblique
        about 6 pm on Friday 23 April 2004. He was in his 88th year. [...]

        [...] In addition Boismard published at least 95 articles, and over 450
        book reviews. His two last articles are :
        * 'Jésus a-t-il usé de violence en chassant les vendeurs du Temple?' RB
        110 (2003) 33-37.
        * 'Étude sur le papyrus copte de l'évangile de Matthieu provenant de la
        collection Schoyen' RB 110 (2003) 387-98."

        http://ebaf.op.org/wsw/en/boismard.html
        http://ebaf.op.org/english/

        a+
        manu
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2004
          I wrote the following intellectual obituary of Boismard for my blog:

          Mark Goodacre at the NT Gateway Weblog mentioned the passing of Marie-Emile
          Boismard. This giant of synoptic source criticism will be sorely missed.

          Boismard was a provocative critic who has delved into the synoptic problem
          and the question of Acts, with an intense text-critical interest that is
          often lacking in many 20th century source critics. For some reason, textual
          critics are more willing to postulate a lost ancestor than source critics (I
          have my ideas why), and Boismard was no exception. His text-critical approach
          has led him to postulate a whole series of hypothetical ancestral documents,
          variously identified as pre-Luke and proto-Luke, pre-Mark, etc., for
          explaining the richness of the synoptic data. Needless to say, with the
          exception of some of his immediate colleagues, his specific ideas have not
          been generally adopted. Although I too cannot accept everything he has
          postulated, I do feel that there may indeed lie a few unnoticed pearls of
          wisdom in his scholarship, particularly regarding the relationship between
          Matthew and Mark (which I fear might not be so straightforward as to be one
          of direct dependence), and for that reason it would be beneficial to
          continue studying what Boismard has published.

          Although Boismard wrote mainly in French (the one saving grace of my high
          school age decision to study French instead of German!), some of his work
          has been translated into English. The most notable of these includes: "The
          Two-Source Theory as an Impasse," NTS 26 (1979): 1-17. The basic statement
          of his position can be found in his statement of the case at the 1984
          Jerusalem Symposium: "Théorie des niveaux multiples" [Multiple-Stage Theory]
          in Dungan, ed., The Interrelations of the Gospels (BETL 90; Leuven, 1990),
          231-243

          Unfortunately, due to the complexity of his theories, German and
          English-language scholarship never really knew quite what to make of
          Boismard's ideas or how to respond to them, and he has been too commonly
          dismissed for being "too complicated" than truly engaged. A notable
          exception to this is John S. Kloppenborg-Verbin, Excavating Q: The History
          and Setting of the Sayings Gospel (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2000), 43-50,
          which contains one of the most extensive and perceptive engagements with
          Boismard in English-language scholarship. (It is precisely because
          Kloppenborg had devoted so much space to Boismard instead of to Goulder that
          I feel that Christopher Tuckett's defence of Q remains the strongest to
          date, but perhaps Kloppenborg and Tuckett should be viewed as complementary,
          not as substitutes, since Tuckett defends Q against simpler solutions and
          Kloppenborg against more complicated ones.)

          I'm sure that Boismard has touched more people lives than those of source
          critics, but I do know that his contributions to synoptic source criticism
          have left it for the better. Who will carry Boismard's torch will remain to
          be seen, but I hope that the long line of French Roman Catholic source
          critics of unquestionable intelligence and brilliance (Vaganay, Benoit,
          etc.) will not come to an end with the passing of Boismard.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...