Re: [XTalk] FW: Letter About "The Passion" from Mark Komrad, a Jewish Psychiatrist

  • Dr. Rikk E. Watts (Cantab)
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
      Liz,

      This is proving to be a fascinating phenomenon, and of some relevance since
      it highlights the role of pre-understanding in hermeneutics.

      I can only say that this is exactly not what I took from the film, and I
      think I too am an educated viewer with some long if amateur experience in
      film/art criticism with undergraduate work in sociology and some doctoral
      work on the role of ideology. It only confirms to me that, as in all films
      but more so in this one, what people bring to the film impacts their
      perception.

      I did not see the whole Jewish people. I saw a corrupt leadership, iconic to
      the extreme, at one particular time and one particular place. I saw a
      relatively smallish mob (no more than a few hundred, certainly not
      thousands ‹ no huge tableaux of the 1000s of extras). Although I find it
      difficult to believe that the Romans would have bothered with Jesus, not
      least the Crossan¹s cynic, without some considerable external instigation, I
      certainly wouldn¹t saddle ³the Jews² with this any more than I would saddle
      the present generation of Germans en toto with the Holocaust. The reviewer
      sees this as an indictment on all Jews collectively. While understandable, I
      can only say that in terms of what is actually there on the screen, this is
      a considerable leap.

      Such leaps happen because of the ideological world the viewer brings to the
      film ‹ and again especially so in this film since it does expect so much of
      its viewers (they have undergo the emotional assault and at the same time
      try to move between reality and symbol, as well as keep all the iconic
      elements in view, the framing, the sequencing, light/shade, color,
      tableaux/composition, pacing etc.; it¹s like trying to bodysurf a 15 foot
      breaker). Such worlds are fostered in the communities whose identities they
      shape, and this whether Jew, Christian, or atheist. I suspect this is why,
      as I try to make sense of the responses (perhaps a futile task), large
      numbers of Christians see this film as being about their own responsibility
      and hence your encounter in Chapters, non-Christians (agnostics, atheists
      who are self-proclaimed) tend to see either gore (they wear their Braveheart
      or von Harnackian spectacles) or an extraordinary battle between vindictive
      evil and humanity, some Sikhs I know wept and have invited me to give a
      public lecture to them on this Jesus who died for the sins of the world, and
      many Jews as an attack on all Jews. (I realize that these are more or less
      generalizations). Given that the film is so visceral and emotive it will of
      course engender very strong reactions, not all of them in my opinion very
      well thought out (certainly few reflecting much objectivity, but then the
      film intentionally aims at the emotions ‹ though the more I think about the
      subtle imagery, etc. it is also a very competent piece of film-making).

      I do not question that the reviewer is sincere about his/their feelings. But
      I also think he needs to recognize that those feelings are in large part
      shaped by a history in which not only he was identified with that group and
      suffered long and cruelly as a result, but ironically he himself continues
      to make that identification, even though the film itself does not. That I
      find truly tragic. In other words, if there is problem here it does not, in
      my view, lie solely with the film. I hope you realize that at no point am I
      attempting to blame people, simply to understand them.

      Regards

      Rikk