Re: [XTalk] allusions...

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 2, 2004
      From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 5:35 PM
      Subject: RE: [XTalk] allusions...

      > Jim asked: What the devil was the allusion about when the
      > devil was carrying a hairy backed baby around?
      >
      > I guess this is a mockery of the madonna and child image -
      > Satan's 'new creation'.
      >
      > Bob

      I believe it is an allusion to John 8:44

      JK
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 2, 2004
        At 01:22 PM 3/2/04 -0600, you wrote:

        >I believe it is an allusion to John 8:44

        Curiously, Gibson has another definition-
        http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/news/040301-passion.html

        which frankly I find incomprehensible. I like the allusion to John 8:44
        much better as it actually makes sense.

        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Dr Jim West
        Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
        http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
        http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

        "Critics are like eunuchs. They know what is supposed to happen, but they
        can't do it themselves". Soren Kierkegaard
      • Jan Sammer
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
          I am still hoping that someone on this list will comment on the underlying
          meaning of diabolos in the Greek of GJohn and its Aramaic or Hebrew
          background. Diabolos is literally slanderer or liar and the entire passage
          deals with the true parenthood of the Jesus's interlocutors: are they the
          Children of Abraham or the Children of the Slanderer or someone who makes
          false accusations. Could the reference possibly be to Genesis 16:12 and
          Ishmael? These are the alternatives that Paul discusses in Galatians and
          they may apply in this case as well. But here is no occasion in the
          scriptures where Ishmael makes false accusations against anyone. Or from a
          different temporal perspective, could the slanderer or false accuser be an
          oblique allusion to Annanias the high priest who had falsely accused Paul
          and/or Caiaphas who had falsely accused Jesus? Or perhaps the entirely
          priestly line that was persecuting the nascent Christian movement? In
          Hebrews it is stressed that Abraham recognized the priesthood of Melchizedek
          and Jesus was said to be a priest in the tradition of Melchizedek--in
          opposition to the high priests of the day. This suggests that the contrast
          of Children of Abraham / Children of Diabolos might indicate a dichotomy
          between two traditions of priesthood. Jesus' interlocutors claim to be the
          children of Abraham, whose priest was Melchizedek, yet they follow
          prentenders to the priesthood that falsely accused Jesus of blasphemy and
          that were falsely accusing Paul of propagating a superstitio. If we want to
          get at the intent of this passage, we need to shed the medieval notion of
          diabolos as incarnate evil, one that is apparently propagated once more in
          the movie under discussion.

          Jan Sammer

          > >I believe it is an allusion to John 8:44
          >

          > Curiously, Gibson has another definition-
          > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/news/040301-passion.html
          >
          > which frankly I find incomprehensible. I like the allusion to John 8:44
          > much better as it actually makes sense.
          >
          > Jim

        • Lisbeth S. Fried
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
            Dear All,
            Is it not whitewashing to label the Diabolos as simply slanderer or liar?
            I seem to recall that Diabolos is used in the Greek writings to translate
            the demons of Zoroastrianism, along with the term daemon.
            Liz Fried
            I am still hoping that someone on this list will comment on the underlying
            meaning of diabolos in the Greek of GJohn and its Aramaic or Hebrew
            background. Diabolos is literally slanderer or liar and the entire passage
            deals with the true parenthood of the Jesus's interlocutors: are they the
            Children of Abraham or the Children of the Slanderer or someone who makes
            false accusations. Could the reference possibly be to Genesis 16:12 and
            Ishmael? These are the alternatives that Paul discusses in Galatians and
            they may apply in this case as well. But here is no occasion in the
            scriptures where Ishmael makes false accusations against anyone. Or from a
            different temporal perspective, could the slanderer or false accuser be an
            oblique allusion to Annanias the high priest who had falsely accused Paul
            and/or Caiaphas who had falsely accused Jesus? Or perhaps the entirely
            priestly line that was persecuting the nascent Christian movement? In
            Hebrews it is stressed that Abraham recognized the priesthood of
            Melchizedek
            and Jesus was said to be a priest in the tradition of Melchizedek--in
            opposition to the high priests of the day. This suggests that the contrast
            of Children of Abraham / Children of Diabolos might indicate a dichotomy
            between two traditions of priesthood. Jesus' interlocutors claim to be the
            children of Abraham, whose priest was Melchizedek, yet they follow
            prentenders to the priesthood that falsely accused Jesus of blasphemy and
            that were falsely accusing Paul of propagating a superstitio. If we want
            get at the intent of this passage, we need to shed the medieval notion of
            diabolos as incarnate evil, one that is apparently propagated once more in
            the movie under discussion.

            Jan Sammer

            > >I believe it is an allusion to John 8:44
            >

            > Curiously, Gibson has another definition-
            > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/news/040301-passion.html
            >
            > which frankly I find incomprehensible. I like the allusion to John 8:44
            > much better as it actually makes sense.
            >
            > Jim

            crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            List managers may be contacted directly at:
            crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
              "Lisbeth S. Fried" wrote:

              > Dear All,
              > Is it not whitewashing to label the Diabolos as simply slanderer or
              > liar?
              > I seem to recall that Diabolos is used in the Greek writings to
              > translate
              > the demons of Zoroastrianism, along with the term daemon.

              Can you tell us where you read this? And which Greek writings are you
              speaking of?

              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

              1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
              Chicago, IL 60626

              jgibson000@...

            • Lisbeth S. Fried
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                Darn, I was afraid someone would ask me, I've been
                trying to remember. I thought Herodotus, but I couldn't
                find it.
                Now I see that I must be wrong. It's not in L&S, and
                if it were in Herodotus, or any of the Greek writers I
                would have read, then it would be in L&S, so oops!
                mea culpa.
                Back to the drawing board,
                or maybe back to lurking.
                Liz Fried
                Slinking away, redfaced.
                > Is it not whitewashing to label the Diabolos as simply slanderer or
                > liar?
                > I seem to recall that Diabolos is used in the Greek writings to
                > translate
                > the demons of Zoroastrianism, along with the term daemon.

                Can you tell us where you read this? And which Greek writings are you
                speaking of?

                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                Chicago, IL 60626

                jgibson000@...

                crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                List managers may be contacted directly at:
                crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                  At 01:22 PM 3/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Darn, I was afraid someone would ask me, I've been
                  >trying to remember. I thought Herodotus, but I couldn't find it.
                  >Now I see that I must be wrong. It's not in L&S, and
                  >if it were in Herodotus, or any of the Greek writers I
                  >would have read, then it would be in L&S, so oops! mea culpa.
                  >Back to the drawing board, or maybe back to lurking.
                  >Liz Fried
                  >Slinking away, redfaced.

                  Liz,
                  Don't slink away, please. Was this what you were thinking of?

                  >Manich├Žism

                  >II. SYSTEM OF DOCTRINE AND DISCIPLINE
                  >
                  >Doctrine

                  >The key to Mani's system is his cosmogony....
                  >We are giving the cosmogony as contained in Theodore Bar Khoni, embodying
                  >the results of the study of Francois Cumont. Before the existence of
                  >heaven and earth and all that is therein, there were two Principles, the
                  >one Good the other Bad. ...

                  >Opposed to the Father of Grandeur is the King of Darkness. He is actually
                  >never called God, but otherwise, he and his kingdom down below are exactly
                  >parallel to the ruler and realm of the light above....

                  >These two powers might have lived eternally in peace, had not the Prince
                  >of Darkness decided to invade the realm of light. On the approach of the
                  >monarch of chaos the five aeons of light were seized with terror. This
                  >incarnation of evil called Satan or Ur-devil (Diabolos protos, Iblis
                  >Kadim, in Arabic sources), a monster half fish, half bird, yet with four
                  >feet and lion-headed, threw himself upward toward the confines of light.

                  [from http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09591a.htm ]

                  From "The Anchor Bible Dictionary" [as copied in
                  http://www.satanservice.org/propaganda/acad.90sa.txt, so caveat lector!]:

                  >_DEVIL_ {Gk *diabolos}. The LXX and NT translation of the OT
                  >*satan*. *Satan* is a judicial term referring to an "accuser,"
                  >"slanderer," "calumniator," or "adversary" in court (cf. Ps 109:6).
                  >The NT also uses the transliteration *satanos*, which is synonymous
                  >with *diabolos* (cf. Rev 12:9). *Diabolos* is rare outside the
                  >LXX and the NT. It is found in Wis 2:23-24, which identifies the
                  >serpent of Genesis 3 with the Devil....
                  >
                  >SATAN as a supernatural accuser of humankind in the heavenly court
                  >and working for God occurs three times in the OT. In Zech 3:1-10
                  >Satan stands at God's right hand to accuse Joshua the High Priest,
                  >only to have his accusation spurned. In Job 1-2 Satan questions
                  >the sincerety of Job's righteousness before God in the midst of
                  >the heavenly council. Here his office is expanded beyond accuser,
                  >for he is given control over sickness, death, and nature in the
                  >testing of Job. In 1 Chr 21:1 Satan incites David to sin by
                  >taking a census. Here the anarthrous form of *Satan* becomes a
                  >proper name. Also apparent here is the tendency to divorce
                  >temptation from God and assign it to Satan, for in the earlier
                  >version of the census of David, God, not Satan, is the agent of
                  >the temptation (2 Sam 24:1; cf. Jas 1:13).
                  >
                  >The notion of the Devil as an independent evil power no longer
                  >in heaven but ruling a demonic kingdom and headed for judgement
                  >is absent in the OT. This move from a subordinate accuser to
                  >an independent tempter was a development of the intertestamental
                  >period and has been attributed to a number of factors. In
                  >limited favor in current scholarship is the proposal that the
                  >Hebrew notion of Satan was borrowed or heavily influenced by the
                  >dualism of Persian Avestan Zoroastrianism, in which Angra Mainyu,
                  >the evil god, opposes Ahura Mazda, the good god. However, in
                  >Hebrew thought, Satan is always subordinate to God and Angra
                  >Mainyu does not function as an accuser in Zoroastrianism. Still,
                  >a development of Zoroastrian concepts cannot be ruled out.

                  An ancient connection may also be linguistic. As one website argues,
                  >...the root of the term diabolos (diavolos in Greek, even today) itself is
                  >also the Aryan root div. Moreover, if we base another argument on the
                  >anthropological claim of the common Indo-European ancestry of all the
                  >peoples of the Mediterranean basin, we can as well safely presume that
                  >even the Aryan root div emerges directly from the Sanskrit root deva....
                  > The important role played by the demons in the Mazdean system may be
                  > observed in the Vendidad, which is the largest and most complete part of
                  > the Avesta, so much so that when the sacred book is written or printed
                  > without the commentaries it is generally known as Vendidad Sade which
                  > means something that is "given against the demons" - vidaevodata, i.e.
                  > contra daimones datus or antidaemoniacus.

                  [http://occult.yabal.com/demon_zoroaster.html%5d

                  Does this do anything to jog your memory?
                  And does anyone else have Pagel's The History of Satan handy?

                • Jan Sammer
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                    I don't think it's a whitewash. It is the literal and ordinary meaning of
                    the term. The term could apparently cover different situations, but in its
                    most ordinary sense it meant "slanderer" or "accuser" -- as in 1 Timothy
                    3:11 where wives are advised not to be diabolous-we are obviously not
                    talking about demonic possession here, but simply of the need to avoid
                    behavior such as slander and false accusations. What I am getting at is that
                    the use of the term in John 8:44 does not necessarily mean that Jesus'
                    interlocutors are the children of the devil (as in Mel Gibson's hairy baby,
                    if that is in fact the allusion), but merely children of false accusers and
                    slanderers. That is why I hoped for input from an Aramaicist, since I seem
                    to recall that in Aramaic as well as in Hebrew, "son of" or "children of" is
                    often used figuratively to indicate belonging to a certain group. Thus the
                    statement that Jesus' Jewish interlocutors were children of diabolos, could
                    merely mean that they belonged to a group of slanderers and false
                    accusers--i.e., in contemporary terms (in terms of the composition of the
                    first redaction of GJohn), we have to do with Paul's opponents from among
                    the temple hierarchy. Again no whitewash is being attempted, just digging
                    for contemporary meaning.

                    Jan Sammer

                    > Dear All,
                    > Is it not whitewashing to label the Diabolos as simply slanderer or liar?
                    > I seem to recall that Diabolos is used in the Greek writings to translate
                    > the demons of Zoroastrianism, along with the term daemon.
                    > Liz Fried
                  • Lisbeth S. Fried
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                      Yes, you are correct in the Aramaic/Hebrew interpretation of "son of."
                      But the text is in Greek! Would it have that meaning in Greek, or do
                      you posit an Aramaic original?
                      Liz Fried
                      (back from slinking away)
                      I don't think it's a whitewash. It is the literal and ordinary meaning of
                      the term. The term could apparently cover different situations, but in its
                      most ordinary sense it meant "slanderer" or "accuser" -- as in 1 Timothy
                      3:11 where wives are advised not to be diabolous-we are obviously not
                      talking about demonic possession here, but simply of the need to avoid
                      behavior such as slander and false accusations. What I am getting at is
                      that
                      the use of the term in John 8:44 does not necessarily mean that Jesus'
                      interlocutors are the children of the devil (as in Mel Gibson's hairy
                      baby,
                      if that is in fact the allusion), but merely children of false accusers
                      and
                      slanderers. That is why I hoped for input from an Aramaicist, since I seem
                      to recall that in Aramaic as well as in Hebrew, "son of" or "children of"
                      is
                      often used figuratively to indicate belonging to a certain group. Thus the
                      statement that Jesus' Jewish interlocutors were children of diabolos,
                      could
                      merely mean that they belonged to a group of slanderers and false
                      accusers--i.e., in contemporary terms (in terms of the composition of the
                      first redaction of GJohn), we have to do with Paul's opponents from among
                      the temple hierarchy. Again no whitewash is being attempted, just digging
                      for contemporary meaning.

                      Jan Sammer

                      > Dear All,
                      > Is it not whitewashing to label the Diabolos as simply slanderer or
                      liar?
                      > I seem to recall that Diabolos is used in the Greek writings to
                      translate
                      > the demons of Zoroastrianism, along with the term daemon.
                      > Liz Fried

                      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      List managers may be contacted directly at:

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                        I have read books and articles which did propose such, in a way that I found
                        convincing at the time. But leaving that posibility aside, one would expect
                        the Greek spoken by native Aramaic speakers, such as Paul or the author of
                        GJohn, presumably, to have been affected by Aramaic syntax. Thus one does
                        not need to postulate an Aramaic precursor to John's gospel simply because
                        one finds Aramaicisms in the Greek syntax.

                        Jan Sammer

                        > Yes, you are correct in the Aramaic/Hebrew interpretation of "son of."
                        > But the text is in Greek! Would it have that meaning in Greek, or do
                        > you posit an Aramaic original?
                        > Liz Fried
                        > (back from slinking away)
                      • Jim West
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                          At 10:13 PM 3/3/04 +0100, you wrote:
                          >I have read books and articles which did propose such, in a way that I found
                          >convincing at the time. But leaving that posibility aside, one would expect
                          >the Greek spoken by native Aramaic speakers, such as Paul or the author of
                          >GJohn, presumably, to have been affected by Aramaic syntax. Thus one does
                          >not need to postulate an Aramaic precursor to John's gospel simply because
                          >one finds Aramaicisms in the Greek syntax.

                          For what reason do you suggest that Paul was a native speaker of Aramaic.
                          Was there much need for Aramaic in Tarsus? I think he knew Aramaic, but he
                          learned it in Jerusalem. It wasn't his mother tongue. Does someone
                          somewhere suggest otherwise?

                          Jim

                          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                            Bob Schacht wrote:

                            (quoting a source)

                            > *Diabolos* is rare outside the
                            > >LXX and the NT. It is found in Wis 2:23-24, which identifies the
                            > >serpent of Genesis 3 with the Devil....

                            Is it? Here are all the instnaces of the use of the noun (excluding the
                            NT ones) that I found seraching the TLG from 8BCE to 1 CE, using DIABOLO
                            and DIABOLW as my search terms.

                            Yours,

                            Jeffrery

                            ********
                            Pindarus Lyr. Frg Incert.297.1

                            Thucydides Hist 6.15.2.4

                            Isocrates Trapez 27.4; 48.6; Panath 21.4

                            Aristophanes Comic. Eq 45

                            Andocides Orat. De redit 24.3

                            Xenophon Hist. Ages 11.5.4

                            Plato Phil. Ep 329.b.8

                            Lysias Orat. Or9 2.3

                            Pherecydes Hist. 003 92.1

                            Hyperides Orat. Lyc Ar.7.28

                            Aristoteles Phil. Top 126a.31; Top 126b.9;

                            Apollodorus Comic. Fragmenta tit 6-7.1 Fragmenta Dia.tit.1

                            Nicostratus Comic. Fragmenta tit 10.1

                            Menander Comic. Fragmenta 878.1; Fragmenta FIF.485.1 Fragmenta 803.1

                            Anaximenes Hist. et Rhet. Ars rhetorica 29.14.3; 29.28.3

                            Polybius Hist. Hist 28.2.2.3; Hist 32.1.6.2

                            Posidonius Phil. Fragmenta 214.11

                            Carystius Hist. Fragmenta 2.3

                            Demetrius Rhet. Formae epistolicae 17.5

                            Liber Jubilaeorum Fragmenta frag w.13

                            Testamenta XII Patriarcharu Testamenta xii patriarcharum 8.3.1 8.8.4.
                            8.8.6; 10.1.9; 10.3.2.

                            Philo Judaeus Phil. Sac 32.10

                            Diodorus Siculus Hist. Bibliotheca historica 37.5a.1.16

                            Dionysius Halicarnassensis Antiq Rom 5.11.1; 8.49.6

                            Vita Adam Et Evae 15.6; 16.1; 16.3; 16.11; 17.8; 21.6

                            Bruti Epistulae Epistulae 56.18

                            Plutarchus Biogr. et Phil. Cor 16.6.4; Marc 27.5.1; CatMi 54.2.2; Ant
                            35.1.1; Brut 34.2.2; Quomodo adulator ab amico internoscatur 59.E.2;
                            61.D.3; De fraterno amore 479.A.13; 481.B.8; 490.E.1; Maxime cum
                            principibus philosopho esse disserendum 778.D.7; De proverbiis
                            Alexandrinorum 26.2

                            Flavius Arrianus Hist. et Ana 7.12.5.6

                            Flavius Josephus Hist. AJ 13.303.3; 16.5.2; 16.200.3; 16.399.3;
                            17.146.5; BJ 1.72.3; BJ 1.448.1; BJ 1.493.5; BJ 1.564.3; BJ 1.633.7

                            Appianus Hist. BC 5.9.78.17

                            Assumptio Mosis Fragmenta frag b.2; Fragmenta frag h.1; Fragmenta
                            frag i.2; Fragmenta frag i.4; Fragmenta frag j.2

                            Clemens Romanus Theol. et Epistula ii ad Corinthios 18.2.3; Homiliae
                            3.59.4.3; Homiliae 7.11.2.1; Homiliae 8.9.1.2; Homiliae 19.2.4.2;
                            Homiliae 19.2.6.1; Homiliae 20.9.3.1
                            Pseudo-Clementina 42.10
                            Ignatius Scr. Eccl. Epistulae vii genuinae 1.10.3.4; 3.8.1.3;
                            6.9.1.4; Epistulae interpolatae et epistulae suppositiciae 2.4.2.4;
                            2.10.8.2; 3.5.2.5; 3.5.3.2; 3.5.3.4; 6.3.2.9; 6.6.1.3;
                            6.6.2.4; 9.5.1.2; 9.5.1.5;10.5.1.4; 11.10.4.3; 11.14.1.1;
                            12.5.3.5

                            Polycarpus Scr. Eccl.
                            Epistula ad Philippenses 5.2.3; 7.1.3

                            Septuaginta
                            Para1 21.1; Esth 7.4; Esth 8.1.2; Ma1 1.36; Ps 108.6.2; Job 1.6.; Job
                            1.7; Job 1.9.1; Job 1.12; Job 2.1. Job 2.2; Job 2.3; Job 2.4. Job 2.6;
                            Job 2.7; Sap 2.24; Zach 3.2

                            Rhetorica Anonyma Progymnasmata 1.625.27;

                            Historia Alexandri Magni Recensio F 25.7.3; Recensio F 78.13.3;
                            Recensio F 80.15.14 Recensio F 80.16.13 Recensio F 125.9.9; Recensio E
                            14.5.3 Recensio E 25.7.3 Recensio E 78.13.2; Recensio E 80.16.14
                            Recensio E 125.9.9 Recensio V 28.25 Recensio V 28.26 Recensio V
                            35.20

                            Vitae Aesopi Vita G 110.8; Vita W 110.8

                            Physiologus
                            Physiologus 6.15;
                            Physiologus 11.23; 15.7 17.12
                            Physiologus 17.23
                            Physiologus 18.7
                            Physiologus 23.8
                            Physiologus 23.9
                            Physiologus 25.6
                            Physiologus 26.7
                            Physiologus 27.10
                            Physiologus 30.9
                            Physiologus 30.10
                            Physiologus 30.12
                            Physiologus 30.13
                            Physiologus 30.30
                            Physiologus 30.35
                            Physiologus 30bis.8
                            Physiologus 34.21
                            Physiologus 34.27
                            Physiologus 35a.7
                            Physiologus 45.7
                            Physiologus 45.9
                            Physiologus 45.10
                            Physiologus 45.12
                            Physiologus 46.11

                            Apophthegmata
                            001 133.44
                            001 156.14
                            001 232.21
                            001 236.6
                            001 236.11
                            001 245.17
                            001 268.26
                            001 272.54
                            001 300.23
                            001 309.12
                            001 309.41
                            001 365.32
                            001 424.5
                            001 425.35
                            001 428.13

                            Apophthegmata
                            002 31.2
                            002 32.11
                            002 34.4
                            002 34.9
                            002 76.2
                            002 77.1
                            002 175.24
                            002 176.5
                            002 189.13
                            002 189.27
                            002 190.14
                            002 191.6
                            002 275.1
                            002 276.3
                            002 310.1
                            002 312.3
                            002 312.6
                            002 312.8
                            002 362.8
                            002 373.1
                            002 393.3
                            002 393.6
                            002 393.8
                            002 400.5
                            Apophthegmata
                            003 410.21
                            Apophthegmata
                            005 PRO.5.2
                            005 4.23.6
                            005 4.23.11
                            005 4.67.1
                            005 5.4.50
                            005 5.30.7
                            005 5.42.16
                            005 5.42.32
                            005 5.43.16
                            005 5.44.8
                            005 5.46.11
                            005 5.48.5
                            005 7.23.1
                            005 9.6.4
                            Apophthegmata
                            006 8.1
                            Apophthegmata
                            007 3.1
                            007 3.3
                            007 5.3
                            007 14.2
                            007 16.2
                            007 17.1
                            007 24.3
                            007 24.4
                            007 26.1
                            007 26.3\
                            007 29.8
                            007 29.10
                            007 29.12

                            Magica
                            Papyri magicae 12.6
                            Scholia In Aelium Aristidem Pan.94,12.17
                            Scholia in Aelium Aristidem Tett.161,7.5 BD.
                            Scholia in Aelium Aristidem Tett.161,8.2
                            Scholia In Aeschylum
                            Scholia in Prometheum vinctum 944.2 Scholia in equites sch
                            eq.103h.1;
                            Commentarium in nubes sch nub.98a.1

                            Scholia In Euripidem Scholia in Euripidem sch Hipp.625.8

                            Anonymi In Hermogenem Rhet Commentarium in librum

                            Scholia In Lucianum Scholia in Lucianum 15.10.2; 15.26.1

                            Scholia In Pindarum
                            Scholia in Pindarum P 2.140a.1
                            Scholia in Pindarum P 2.140c.2
                            Scholia in Pindarum P 2.165a.4
                            Scholia in Pindarum P 2.165b.4

                            Scholia In Sophoclem
                            Scholia in Sophoclis Ajacem 138b.3
                            Scholia in Sophoclis Ajacem 148e.1
                            Scholia et glossae in Sophoclis Ajacem
                            Scholia in Sophoclem Aj.137.4

                            Scholia In Thucydidem
                            Scholia in Thucydidem 6.15.2.1
                            Scholia in Thucydidem 8.91.3.13

                            Arsenius Paroemiogr. Apophthegmata 18.53b.1

                            Apocalypsis Sedrach Apocalypsis Sedrach 4.11; 5.7
                            Acta Philippi
                            Acta Philippi 2.3
                            Acta Philippi 110.4
                            Acta Philippi 112.2
                            Acta Philippi 140.9
                            Acta Philippi 24.3
                            Acta Philippi 25.3
                            --

                            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                            1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                            Chicago, IL 60626

                            jgibson000@...

                          • Jan Sammer
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                              You are right to point out that Paul's native tongue was more likely to have
                              been Greek than Aramaic, unless his family were recent migrants; but the
                              point I was trying to make was that even Paul's syntax is affected by
                              Aramaic, since Aramaicisms naturally became a part of the normal form of
                              expression for Hellenized Jews. At the very least we need to watch out for
                              such syntax in reading Paul's Greek. But let us try to focus on the text
                              whose original meaning we are trying to discern. Why translate diabolou as
                              devil in John 8:44 and as something akin to "contrariness" to be avoided by
                              wives in 1 Tim 3:11? If the meaning is determined by context, then does the
                              context of having a diabolos for a father (which is equivalent to being the
                              children of one) necessarily refer to being sired by a demonic being? Could
                              it not just as well, and more reasonably perhaps, refer to adherence to a
                              body of false accusers and slanderers?

                              Jan Sammer

                              > >I have read books and articles which did propose such, in a way that I
                              found
                              > >convincing at the time. But leaving that posibility aside, one would
                              expect
                              > >the Greek spoken by native Aramaic speakers, such as Paul or the author
                              of
                              > >GJohn, presumably, to have been affected by Aramaic syntax. Thus one does
                              > >not need to postulate an Aramaic precursor to John's gospel simply
                              because
                              > >one finds Aramaicisms in the Greek syntax.
                              >
                              > For what reason do you suggest that Paul was a native speaker of Aramaic.
                              > Was there much need for Aramaic in Tarsus? I think he knew Aramaic, but
                              he
                              > learned it in Jerusalem. It wasn't his mother tongue. Does someone
                              > somewhere suggest otherwise?
                              >
                              > Jim

                            • Jim West
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                At 10:46 PM 3/3/04 +0100, you wrote:
                                > Why translate diabolou as
                                >devil in John 8:44 and as something akin to "contrariness" to be avoided by
                                >wives in 1 Tim 3:11? If the meaning is determined by context, then does the
                                >context of having a diabolos for a father (which is equivalent to being the
                                >children of one) necessarily refer to being sired by a demonic being? Could
                                >it not just as well, and more reasonably perhaps, refer to adherence to a
                                >body of false accusers and slanderers?

                                I agree that context is everything. and I suppose that one could translate
                                John 8:44 - "You are a contrary lot! And you do the lustful things your
                                father wants you to do...." especially since a couple of extremely minor
                                sources leave "tou patros" out. But if you do, if you translate diabolos
                                with something other than devil, you have to decide what possible referent
                                "father" has in the second line of the verse. Devil // father. Or contrary
                                // father. To me, the second reading is less reasonable and therefore less
                                likely. So in spite of the political difficulties with leaving "the devil"
                                in, I think it has to stay just like that- as a clear reference to "the
                                devil" (whatever the devil the devil is to John and his audience).

                                Best

                                Jim

                                +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                  BTW a recent instance of the adoption of Semitic syntax in modern English
                                  are the various expressions based on "mother of all battles" -- an
                                  expression that became famous when uttered by Saddam on the eve of the first
                                  Gulf War and which, as I am given to understand, in Arabic means something
                                  like "the biggest battle you've ever seen"; however for its picturesque
                                  qualities it became quite at home in English over the last decade or so.
                                  Thus an expression such as "the mother of all popsicles" is used and readily
                                  understood in contemporary English to designate a really big popsicle, by
                                  people who don't know a single word of Arabic. Such taking over of syntax
                                  from a foreign language is a common enough phenomenon and should be taken
                                  into consideration in interpreting the NT texts.

                                  Jan Sammer
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                    At 04:18 PM 3/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >At 10:13 PM 3/3/04 +0100, you wrote:
                                    > >I have read books and articles which did propose such, in a way that I found
                                    > >convincing at the time. But leaving that posibility aside, one would expect
                                    > >the Greek spoken by native Aramaic speakers, such as Paul or the author of
                                    > >GJohn, presumably, to have been affected by Aramaic syntax. Thus one does
                                    > >not need to postulate an Aramaic precursor to John's gospel simply because
                                    > >one finds Aramaicisms in the Greek syntax.
                                    >
                                    >For what reason do you suggest that Paul was a native speaker of Aramaic.
                                    >Was there much need for Aramaic in Tarsus? I think he knew Aramaic, but he
                                    >learned it in Jerusalem. It wasn't his mother tongue. Does someone
                                    >somewhere suggest otherwise?
                                    >
                                    >Jim

                                    Remember that he spent some time in "Arabia" during the "lost years"
                                    following his conversion. He also spent some time tramping around in rural
                                    parts of Asia Minor (Galatia). Aramaic may not have been his mother
                                    tongue, but he probably had to learn it, would be my guess.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                      At 03:41 PM 3/3/2004 -0600, Jeffrey wrote:
                                      >Bob Schacht wrote:
                                      >
                                      >(quoting a source)
                                      >
                                      > > *Diabolos* is rare outside the
                                      > > >LXX and the NT. It is found in Wis 2:23-24, which identifies the
                                      > > >serpent of Genesis 3 with the Devil....
                                      >
                                      >Is it?

                                      I just checked the Greek, and its right there in vs. 24, plain as the nose
                                      on your face, according to my copy of BibleWorks.

                                      >Here are all the instnaces of the use of the noun (excluding the
                                      >NT ones) that I found seraching the TLG from 8BCE to 1 CE, using DIABOLO
                                      >and DIABOLW as my search terms.

                                      Did you wild card the DIABOLO*? Or is the ending automatically wildcarded?
                                      The word in vs. 24 appears to end in a upsilon (i.e., DIABOLOU)
                                      Bob

                                      BTW, Louw-Nida sez
                                      Louw-Nida
                                      dia,boloj ou m
                                      (a) Devil 12.34
                                      (b) demon 12.37
                                      (c) slanderer 33.397
                                      (d) wicked person 88.124

                                      12.34 dia,boloj, ou m (a title for the Devil, literally 'slanderer');
                                      Satana/j, a/ m (a borrowing from Aramaic; a title for the Devil, literally
                                      'adversary'): the principal supernatural evil being - 'Devil, Satan.' ...

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                        Bob Schacht wrote:

                                        > At 03:41 PM 3/3/2004 -0600, Jeffrey wrote:
                                        > >Bob Schacht wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >(quoting a source)
                                        > >
                                        > > > *Diabolos* is rare outside the
                                        > >
                                        > >Is it?
                                        >

                                        > I just checked the Greek, and its right there in vs. 24, plain as the
                                        > nose
                                        > on your face, according to my copy of BibleWorks.

                                        What I was asking about was not whether it occurred in Wis., but whether
                                        the word was rare outside the LXX and the NT.

                                        > >Here are all the instnaces of the use of the noun (excluding the
                                        > >NT ones) that I found seraching the TLG from 8BCE to 1 CE, using
                                        > DIABOLO
                                        > >and DIABOLW as my search terms.
                                        >
                                        > Did you wild card the DIABOLO*? Or is the ending automatically
                                        > wildcarded?

                                        Yes, it is wild-carded. As I said, I did not record the NT instances.

                                        Yours,

                                        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                                        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                                        Chicago, IL 60626

                                        jgibson000@...

                                      • Bob Webb
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                          Paul's claim to be a "Hebrew born of Hebrews" (Phil 3:5) suggests that, even
                                          though he was raised in Tarsus, his mother tongue (spoken at home) was
                                          probably Aramaic.

                                          Bob Webb.

                                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wpWolB/TM

                                          List managers may be contacted directly at:
                                          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        • Jim West
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                            At 09:00 PM 3/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                                            >Paul's claim to be a "Hebrew born of Hebrews" (Phil 3:5) suggests that, even
                                            >though he was raised in Tarsus, his mother tongue (spoken at home) was
                                            >probably Aramaic.

                                            It may imply that he spoke Hebrew at home. It doesn't imply his momma
                                            yelled at him to clean his room in Aramaic. To posit Aramaic as a house
                                            tongue in Tarsus we would need some sort of inscriptional evidence and not a
                                            mere harkening back to his claim to be a Jew of the Jews.

                                            Jim

                                            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                                            Dr Jim West
                                            Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
                                            http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
                                            http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

                                            "Critics are like eunuchs. They know what is supposed to happen, but they
                                            can't do it themselves". Soren Kierkegaard
                                          • David C. Hindley
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                              Bob Webb opines:

                                              >>Paul's claim to be a "Hebrew born of Hebrews" (Phil 3:5) suggests that,
                                              even though he was raised in Tarsus, his mother tongue (spoken at home) was
                                              probably Aramaic.<<

                                              Hmmmm. I don't see that as obvious.

                                              When he says "Hebrew born of Hebrews" it is in the context of defending
                                              himself against rivals who, it appears, were urging Paul's flock to fully
                                              convert to Judaism. By asserting his status as a natural born Jew of Jewish
                                              parentage (assuming "Hebrew" means a Jew by ethnicity), he is also asserting
                                              the unstated fact that he is not a proselyte. This may be taken to mean that
                                              his opponents were (over zealous?) proselytes, and thus less trustworthy
                                              sources of authority than he himself claimed to have.

                                              In the 1st century there were certainly many Jews in Asia Minor whose
                                              families had lived there for several generations. If they were living in the
                                              cities, they would undoubtedly speak Greek. They may also speak Aramaic at
                                              home if their transposition to the area took place in recent times. There
                                              were cases where significant numbers of Judaeans were resettled to Asia
                                              Minor in the first couple centuries BCE, but the number of such
                                              resettlements and the circumstances under which they took place is murky
                                              water historically, and the implications complex.

                                              It is not clear if they were resettled as colonists (meaning city dwellers
                                              who leased their land to locals to farm, and earning other income by
                                              facilitating trade) or if they were intended to actually farm land owned by
                                              Greek colonists. If the latter, they were probably mostly living in the
                                              countryside and villages and may never have spoken anything except a form of
                                              Aramaic.

                                              But Paul seems to be a city boy through and through.

                                              Respectfully,

                                              Dave Hindley
                                              Cleveland, Ohio, USA
                                            • Jan Sammer
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                                                Jim West:

                                                > I agree that context is everything. and I suppose that one could
                                                translate
                                                > John 8:44 - "You are a contrary lot! And you do the lustful things your
                                                > father wants you to do...." especially since a couple of extremely minor
                                                > sources leave "tou patros" out. But if you do, if you translate diabolos
                                                > with something other than devil, you have to decide what possible referent
                                                > "father" has in the second line of the verse. Devil // father. Or
                                                contrary
                                                > // father. To me, the second reading is less reasonable and therefore
                                                less
                                                > likely. So in spite of the political difficulties with leaving "the
                                                devil"
                                                > in, I think it has to stay just like that- as a clear reference to "the
                                                > devil" (whatever the devil the devil is to John and his audience).

                                                My point in the "mother of all battles" message on this same thread was that
                                                in some cases it is wrong to look for a referent, since the referent may be
                                                simply a part of the syntax. The reason for my doubting the traditional
                                                reading has nothing to do with any political difficulties. If we read the
                                                text with an understanding of Aramaic idiom--and that is where I asked for
                                                help, not being an Aramaicist--we find that referents such as father or
                                                mother are regularly used as devices to indicate origin or ingrained
                                                character and cannot be taken literally.

                                                Jan Sammer
                                              • Bob Webb
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                  To claim that he was "a Hebrew born of Hebrews" was not a claim to be
                                                  Jewish. He already made that claim earlier in Phil 3:5 when he states that
                                                  he was "circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel".
                                                  The subsequent claim of being a "Hebrew born of Hebrews" I would understand
                                                  to be a cultural claim. Acts describes "Hellenists" and "Hebrews" (Ac 6:1)
                                                  among the Jewish population, which I have understood is a cultural
                                                  distinction between those who had adopted a more Hellenistic orientation
                                                  (dress and language) as compared with those who maintained a more
                                                  Palestinian orientation (dress and language - i.e., Aramaic). Thus I've
                                                  understood Paul's claim to be a "Hebrew born of Hebrews" is a cultural claim
                                                  that, though he was born and raised in Tarsus, the cultural orientation
                                                  maintained by his parents in the home was "Hebrew". Thus my suggestion that
                                                  Aramaic was, in fact, his mother tongue.

                                                  Bob Webb.

                                                • Jack Kilmon
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                    > At 03:41 PM 3/3/2004 -0600, Jeffrey wrote:
                                                    > >Bob Schacht wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > >(quoting a source)
                                                    > >
                                                    > > > *Diabolos* is rare outside the
                                                    > >
                                                    > >Is it?
                                                    >
                                                    > I just checked the Greek, and its right there in vs. 24, plain as the nose
                                                    > on your face, according to my copy of BibleWorks.
                                                    >

                                                    > >Here are all the instnaces of the use of the noun (excluding the
                                                    > >NT ones) that I found seraching the TLG from 8BCE to 1 CE, using DIABOLO
                                                    > >and DIABOLW as my search terms.
                                                    >
                                                    > Did you wild card the DIABOLO*? Or is the ending automatically wildcarded?
                                                    > The word in vs. 24 appears to end in a upsilon (i.e., DIABOLOU)
                                                    > Bob
                                                    >
                                                    > BTW, Louw-Nida sez
                                                    > Louw-Nida
                                                    > dia,boloj ou m
                                                    > (a) Devil 12.34
                                                    > (b) demon 12.37
                                                    > (c) slanderer 33.397
                                                    > (d) wicked person 88.124
                                                    >
                                                    > 12.34 dia,boloj, ou m (a title for the Devil, literally 'slanderer');
                                                    > Satana/j, a/ m (a borrowing from Aramaic; a title for the Devil, literally
                                                    > 'adversary'): the principal supernatural evil being - 'Devil, Satan.' ...

                                                    Also my belief that the VERY uuuggleeeeee baby carried by Satan is an
                                                    allusion to Jn 8:44 was reinforced by the bracket at the beginning of the
                                                    film in Gethsemane when Satan asks the agonizing Jesus "Who is your father?"

                                                    Jack
                                                  • Jan Sammer
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                      From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...>

                                                      > Also my belief that the VERY uuuggleeeeee baby carried by Satan is an
                                                      > allusion to Jn 8:44 was reinforced by the bracket at the beginning of the
                                                      > film in Gethsemane when Satan asks the agonizing Jesus "Who is your
                                                      father?"

                                                      > Jack

                                                      If you are right on this, then the filmmaker's interpretation is
                                                      unforgivably literal, though derived from a common and probably erroneous
                                                      interpretation of the text of GJohn. If I may I would like to refocus the
                                                      discussion one last time to the question of the meaning and purpose of this
                                                      passage in the hope that we could avoid such tangents, interesting as they
                                                      are, as Paul's native tongue.

                                                      It should be noted, first of all, that the statement in John 8:44 cannot be
                                                      taken literally in any event. Jesus' interlocutors are ordinary people and
                                                      having the diabolos, the an inveterate liar and slanderer, as their father
                                                      can only be understood figuratively in the sense that their actions and
                                                      thoughts are inspired by the diabolos, who is their adoptive or spiritual
                                                      father. Under any reasonable interpretation therefore the statement cannot
                                                      be taken literally. What is then left is to decide is whether the statement
                                                      implies the existence of a diabolical being whom Jesus's interlocutors are
                                                      charged with following or resembling in some way, or whether we are dealing
                                                      with idiomatic language wherein the nature and behavior of Jesus'
                                                      interlocutors is being characterized in a way that is hard to understand for
                                                      speakers of non-Semitic languages. Jesus's interlocutors are charged with
                                                      desiring to adopt the behavior of their father the diabolos and Jesus then
                                                      discusses the nature of the model that they are following: there is no truth
                                                      in him, he has always been a deceiver and a liar, etc. The question remains
                                                      if Jesus's interlocutors are really being accused of being the followers of
                                                      an evil being, in the sense that witches used to be so accused a few
                                                      centuries ago. After all, it is their behavior that is being criticized,
                                                      and which is said to reveal who their true father is. We would say what
                                                      their true nature is. We are apparently dealing with a different linguistic
                                                      idiom.

                                                      Jan Sammer