Re: The Passion

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      --- Loren Rosson wrote:
      > ... if the film is
      > taken in conjunction with what many scholars tell us
      > about the historical Jesus, I think the redeeming value stands.

      I think that "taken in conjunction" is very much the point. Mel G,
      like his favored pre-Vatican II Catholicism, essentially divorces
      the passion from J's ethical and social views. To quote Crossan's
      review (which you evidently don't like):

      > Why, then, is the savagery of those Roman penalties expanded so
      > luridly in this film? We get a clue from the film's promotional
      advertising, especially the line: "Dying was his reason for living."

      This is the Death Tradition with a vengeance. J's life is seen, as
      above, as being nothing but a prelude to his death. First, he does
      some good stuff in Galilee, then he goes up to Jerusalem to fulfill
      his destiny. A+B, but in the end A isn't all that important. His
      enemies had no reason at all to arrest him except spite at best,
      Satanic influence at worst. The net effect of all this is that one
      DOESN'T "conjoin" the HJ with the sacrificial Christ; rather, one
      fixates on sin and guilt and ignores the ethical and social message.
      I know, cuz I was there in the 50's Catholicism that Mel invokes,
      and that's what we did. (Interestingly, we had a Catholic movie-
      rating system that had the force of sin behind it. 'C' [for
      'condemned'] was the rating given to movies which it was a mortal
      sin to see - and woe betide the local theater if they dared to show
      such a film. I'm sure that any other movie with this kind of content
      would have been given a 'C', but since this one is right up their
      alley, they would probably have excused it in the same way that
      radically-traditionalist Christians are now doing.)

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2004
        Mark Goodacre makes note on his blog that the Passion of the Christ will be
        available on DVD on Aug 31.

        http://movieweb.com/dvd/news.php?id=3754

        Just when you thought the chatter was over!

        Jim

        Dr Jim West
        Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
        http://biblical-studies.org Biblical Studies Resources