Gibson's Christ vs. the HJ

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Like everyone else, I suspect, I've been reading the outpouring of
      commentary on Gibson's film from popular religious leaders with
      great interest. This past Saturday, the Detroit News featured side-
      by-side comments from four local religious leaders - Catholic,
      Protestant, Jewish, and Muslim. This was not, of course, intended to
      be a scientific sample, nor were these four men necessarily major
      leaders in their respective faiths. Rather, they were folks that the
      newspaper often turns to for commentary on religious matters -
      consultant "talking heads" as it were. In any case, the contrast
      between Christian and non-Christian views was striking. The two
      Christians focussed on the twin doctrines of universal guilt and
      universal atonement ("We all killed him and he died for all of us").
      The Catholic, for example, said that his initial reaction included
      "a sense of culpability". The Protestant was worse. He stated (and
      as Dave Barry often says, I am not making this up) "The emphasis of
      this film was Jesus' love for me."

      As opposed to this Christian emphasis on the Death Tradition and its
      attendant twin doctrines, the two non-Christians focussed on the
      Life Tradition. The Muslim commentator, for example, stated that
      "Collective guilt is not God's justice - we are all responsible
      for our own sins." (Although he had in mind Jewish collective guilt,
      the same remark would be applicable to the Christian doctrine of
      universal guilt still present today as a remnant of antiquity.)
      The Jewish commentator was by far the best, as far as I'm concerned.
      To my mind, he showed an understanding of the historical Jesus that
      puts popular non-scholarly Christian commentators to shame:

      "The life of Jesus is a story of kindness and compassion, of love
      for the poor and disadvantaged, a story of courage to fight the
      status quo and pay for those beliefs with one's life. That story
      is the one I wish Mel Gibson had made."
      (Rabbi Aaron Bergman, Director of Jewish Studies at the Jewish
      Academy of Metropolitan Detroit in West Bloomfield)

      Thank you, Rabbi Bergman. Me too.

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
    • Dr. Rikk E. Watts (Cantab)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Thanks Mike,

        I hope you might be encouraged by the fact that this is how the people at my
        church¹s youth group saw it. Jesus fought the status quo not by crusades,
        building walls, or launching a jihad but by absorbing the evil thrown at him
        and forgiving it. No doubt some/many Christians read it as per your
        theologians. But I can vouch for the fact that not all.

        Regards
        Rikk