Re: [XTalk] Messianic expectations

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004

      It was published in 1998. There's no review of it at bookreviews.org

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

      "The way many young theologues are dissociating themselves from the church
      is highly displeasing to me. It is also utterly unrealistic". Gerhard von Rad
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2004
        Linda & Ernest Pennells wrote:

        > [Zeba Crook]
        > > don't mean to sound glib, but is it not likely that entering Jerusalem
        > >on a donkey is how most people entered the city? How many other options
        > >were there?
        >
        > Anthony Harvey (Constraints of History) makes a big deal of this: "The
        > kernel of historical fact within the fairly elaborate layers of
        > interpretation ... is Jesus startling and ostentatious reversal of the
        > normal constraint which would have obliged him to enter Jerusalem on foot"
        > (Harvey 1982, 129).

        Also, in his _Christ and the Caesars_, Satuffer conjectured that Jesus' entry into
        Jerusalem followed immediately after Pilate had made his grand entrance. If this
        is so, then Jesus' method of entry takes on a whole new signification.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...
      • Zeba Crook
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
          Steven wrote:
          >Anyway, for now, I will just augment my earlier post with a few of the
          additional quotes that were from before the rabbinic period (we will
          consider Saadia Goan as the first reference of the rabbinic period.)>

          Dear Steven,

          I realy appreciate seeing these references. Rabbinics is not my forte,
          so could explain to me: how do we know that these Talmudic references
          are first century or before?

          I accept your suggestion that post-Christianity Judaism may have felt
          the need to respond to Christian claims about their Messiah. On the
          other hand, I would tend to be more generous to the Christian scholarly
          attempt to distinguish between first-century Judaism and Christianity:
          it's neither "mythicist" nor "anti-missionary" propaganda that seeks to
          differentiate them. Rather it is based on the correction of a
          long-standing traditional view that "the Jews" are to be faulted (as
          willfully ignorant, or something like that) for not recognising the
          very Messiah they were all waiting for and rejecting (and killing) him
          instead. Post-Holocaust work has recognised that in fact, it's
          entirely logical that the majority of Jews, being well familiar with
          their own scriptures, were not convinced by the "scriptural proofs"
          being offered by the members of the Jesus movement. In other words, it
          is (and remains) anything but obvious that Jesus was a reasonable
          likeness to any of the various messiahs Jews were hoping would come (I
          think *expecting* is even putting it too strongly), and your claim
          notwithstanding, the all the sources do not all make the same claim.
          It is obvious, and I easily grant, that these things are all obvious to
          believers (then *and* now), but that is another issue altogether.

          I'm leaving shortly for AAR-SBL, so likely won't see a response to this
          until the middle of next week.

          Cheers,

          Zeb

          Z.A. Crook