Re: [XTalk] Messianic expectations

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004

      It was published in 1998. There's no review of it at bookreviews.org

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com -- Biblical Studies Resources Weblog

      "The way many young theologues are dissociating themselves from the church
      is highly displeasing to me. It is also utterly unrealistic". Gerhard von Rad
    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Bob, the book's not so old -- it came out only about
        six years ago:

        >The Anointed and His People: Messianic Expectations
        from the Maccabees to Bar Kochba, Journal for the
        Study of the Pseudepigrapha Supplement Series - JSPS
        27, by Gerbern S. Oegema, Sheffield Academic Press,
        1998.<

        That's all that I could find on it. No online reviews
        so far as a quick google search could turn up.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        Office:

        Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges [Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley]
        Korea University
        136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
        Seoul
        South Korea

        Home:

        Sun-Ae Hwang and Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Seo-Dong 125-2
        Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
        447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
        South Korea

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2004
          Linda & Ernest Pennells wrote:

          > [Zeba Crook]
          > > don't mean to sound glib, but is it not likely that entering Jerusalem
          > >on a donkey is how most people entered the city? How many other options
          > >were there?
          >
          > Anthony Harvey (Constraints of History) makes a big deal of this: "The
          > kernel of historical fact within the fairly elaborate layers of
          > interpretation ... is Jesus startling and ostentatious reversal of the
          > normal constraint which would have obliged him to enter Jerusalem on foot"
          > (Harvey 1982, 129).

          Also, in his _Christ and the Caesars_, Satuffer conjectured that Jesus' entry into
          Jerusalem followed immediately after Pilate had made his grand entrance. If this
          is so, then Jesus' method of entry takes on a whole new signification.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626

          jgibson000@...
        • Zeba Crook
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
            Steven wrote:
            >Anyway, for now, I will just augment my earlier post with a few of the
            additional quotes that were from before the rabbinic period (we will
            consider Saadia Goan as the first reference of the rabbinic period.)>

            Dear Steven,

            I realy appreciate seeing these references. Rabbinics is not my forte,
            so could explain to me: how do we know that these Talmudic references
            are first century or before?

            I accept your suggestion that post-Christianity Judaism may have felt
            the need to respond to Christian claims about their Messiah. On the
            other hand, I would tend to be more generous to the Christian scholarly
            attempt to distinguish between first-century Judaism and Christianity:
            it's neither "mythicist" nor "anti-missionary" propaganda that seeks to
            differentiate them. Rather it is based on the correction of a
            long-standing traditional view that "the Jews" are to be faulted (as
            willfully ignorant, or something like that) for not recognising the
            very Messiah they were all waiting for and rejecting (and killing) him
            instead. Post-Holocaust work has recognised that in fact, it's
            entirely logical that the majority of Jews, being well familiar with
            their own scriptures, were not convinced by the "scriptural proofs"
            being offered by the members of the Jesus movement. In other words, it
            is (and remains) anything but obvious that Jesus was a reasonable
            likeness to any of the various messiahs Jews were hoping would come (I
            think *expecting* is even putting it too strongly), and your claim
            notwithstanding, the all the sources do not all make the same claim.
            It is obvious, and I easily grant, that these things are all obvious to
            believers (then *and* now), but that is another issue altogether.

            I'm leaving shortly for AAR-SBL, so likely won't see a response to this
            until the middle of next week.

            Cheers,

            Zeb

            Z.A. Crook