Healing genres

  • Ayse
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      I'm a little behind on my Xtalk reading. Now I'd like to ask a question
      about something Bob Schacht said a few days ago. I quote:

      >First of all, there are possible issues of healing genre at stake. For
      >example, are all healings alike, or are some healings different from
      >others? Just as an example, with some disabilities (speech, hearing,
      >sight), Jesus seems more likely to use specific actions involving touch,
      >mud, spittle, etc. that are never reported with healings of other infirmities.

      This is very interesting to me, and relevant to a project that I'm
      currently working on. Bob (or anyone else), do you know of a study that
      catalogues these genre differences and interprets them in a little more detail?

      For the record, my project is focused on Jesus' use of spit in Mark 8 and
      John 9. I'm trying to find more about both Jewish and Greco-Roman
      attitudes to spittle. I've got a few leads, but I'm always hungry for more
      bibliography!

      Ayse Tuzlak
      Department of Religious Studies
      University of Calgary