Re: [spam] Re: News of the "Passion"

  • Jan Sammer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2004
      --- Jan Sammer wrote:
      >> ... "all the people" at 27:25 cannot be understood otherwise than
      >> "everyone present." The author cannot have intended it to refer to
      >> all Jewry and all future generations as it has unfortunately been
      >> interpreted in the past.

      >Mike Grondin:

      >Agreed.

      >> He speaks only of the particular group gathered in front of
      >> Pilate's residence, consisting of the priests, the elders and
      >> their supporters, the Temple establishment one might call them.

      >I'm not sure what counts as a "supporter", but in any case there's
      >no indication in the text that this crowd consisted solely or
      >primarily of such folks.

      By supporters I simply meant those who supported the high priests and the
      elders in their effort to get Jesus condemned to death. The high priests and
      the elders had brought Jesus to Pilate and were still standing in front of
      his residence waiting for the verdict. At 27:15 a crowd is said to be
      gathering, which could mean that the priests and the elders were joined by
      some bystanders, who then demonstrate their support of the high priests and
      the elders by their shouts.

      > Furthermore, the extent of Matthew's
      >broadly condemnatory attitude is revealed by another kind of
      >argument at 23:29-36, where he's addressing scribes and Pharisees
      >(if these also are Temple "supporters" in your view, then I guess
      >that word would include almost all Judaeans - thus making your
      >interpretation of the sentencing scene unfalsifiable because
      >uninterestingly tautological). There, he argues that _anyone_ who
      >persecutes Christians is calling down upon themselves "the guilt of
      >all the righteous blood shed on earth". So I don't think that the
      >author's condemnation was restricted to the Temple establishment,
      >much as your exclusive focus on one factor would have it so.

      Here we have a wholly different situation; Jesus is said to be giving a
      harangue against some Jewish groups who seem to follow the letter of the law
      but not its spirit. I would not read this harangue as addressed to the
      Temple establishment, but in the more general context of the paramout issue
      of the time in which the gospels were written, which was Paul's trial in my
      opinion. I would suggest that it's again a defense of Paul, who is a
      Pharisee, but who is being persecuted (and prosecuted) by other Pharisees.
      BTW, Mt. 23:16-22 would seem pointless if the Temple were not still standing
      at the time of the writing of these words.

      Jan.