Re: [XTalk] Drums of War

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Linda & Ernest Pennells wrote:

      > Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      > >is it really the case that this background has received limited
      > attention?<
      >
      > Studies of Herod/Antipas certainly discuss the issue. My feeling is
      > that
      > this regional disturbance is a major factor in understanding a
      > challenge to
      > Jesus on the divorce issue, which is not given the prominence it
      > deserves.
      > My other snippets are triggered by that. A period of enforced
      > preparation
      > for war sparks off particular ways of looking at the feeding of five
      > thousand, retreat to Mt. Hermon, an erratic journey to Jerusalem ...
      >
      > I would welcome references to exegesis that takes account of this
      > scenario.

      Well (tooting horn), my analysis of Mk 10:1-12 in my _The Temptations
      of Jesus in Early Christianity_ does just this. And there's some
      bibliography there on who else has done the same.

      Do you have access to the ATLA Database? If you do, you'll be able to
      have a look at at least who discusses the pericope since 1995 when my
      book came out.

      Anyone else here know of other recent discussions of the Divorce
      Question in Mk 10 and Matt 19 where the issue of the possibility of the
      PEIRASMOS noted there is related to Jesus' questioners trying to get
      Jesus to criticize Herod's divorce in the light of what appeared to be
      Herod's neglect of his own peoples' safety?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Bob Webb
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
        Jeffrey,

        My own work on John the Baptizer (JSNTSup 62) explores the interaction
        between JB and Herod Antipas.

        Bob Webb.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/