Re: [XTalk] Drums of War

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Linda & Ernest Pennells wrote:

      > These suggestive snippets clearly have differing force. What I find
      > hard
      > to explain is the limited attention given to this background of
      > regional
      > instability in NT studies.

      Thank you very much for this intriguing post. However, is it really the
      case that this background has received limited attention?

      Hoerner takes it up in his book on Herod. So did Nelson Glueck, among
      others (including myself).

      Can anyone here say who else has made use of these data in their
      exegesis of references to Herod Antipas in the NT?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Linda & Ernest Pennells
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >is it really the case that this background has received limited attention?<

        Studies of Herod/Antipas certainly discuss the issue. My feeling is that
        this regional disturbance is a major factor in understanding a challenge to
        Jesus on the divorce issue, which is not given the prominence it deserves.
        My other snippets are triggered by that. A period of enforced preparation
        for war sparks off particular ways of looking at the feeding of five
        thousand, retreat to Mt. Hermon, an erratic journey to Jerusalem ... ...

        I would welcome references to exegesis that takes account of this scenario.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
          Linda & Ernest Pennells wrote:

          > Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
          > >is it really the case that this background has received limited
          > attention?<
          >
          > Studies of Herod/Antipas certainly discuss the issue. My feeling is
          > that
          > this regional disturbance is a major factor in understanding a
          > challenge to
          > Jesus on the divorce issue, which is not given the prominence it
          > deserves.
          > My other snippets are triggered by that. A period of enforced
          > preparation
          > for war sparks off particular ways of looking at the feeding of five
          > thousand, retreat to Mt. Hermon, an erratic journey to Jerusalem ...
          >
          > I would welcome references to exegesis that takes account of this
          > scenario.

          Well (tooting horn), my analysis of Mk 10:1-12 in my _The Temptations
          of Jesus in Early Christianity_ does just this. And there's some
          bibliography there on who else has done the same.

          Do you have access to the ATLA Database? If you do, you'll be able to
          have a look at at least who discusses the pericope since 1995 when my
          book came out.

          Anyone else here know of other recent discussions of the Divorce
          Question in Mk 10 and Matt 19 where the issue of the possibility of the
          PEIRASMOS noted there is related to Jesus' questioners trying to get
          Jesus to criticize Herod's divorce in the light of what appeared to be
          Herod's neglect of his own peoples' safety?

          Yours,

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626

          jgibson000@...

        • Bob Webb
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            Jeffrey,

            My own work on John the Baptizer (JSNTSup 62) explores the interaction
            between JB and Herod Antipas.

            Bob Webb.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/