Cornelius in the Gospels?

  • Maertens
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      Dear Listmembers,

      According to the Pseudo-Clementines , Cornelius "was the person whom our
      Lord cured when he was possessed of a demon in Caesarea."(Hom XX ch. XIII)
      Matthew and Luke both mention a centurion, in Capernaum, whose servant/slave
      has been healed by Jesus. While Luke tells that the slave is sick, Matthew
      reports that the centurion's servant is paralyzed.
      Luke mentions another centurion, Cornelius, in Caesarea.
      Is the author of the Pseudo-Clementines mixing up stories or does he rely on
      another source, or do I miss something? Are there other texts who identify
      the Cornelius of Acts with the centurion of Capernaum?

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Sunny greetings from the beautifull Algarve, Portugal

      Philip Maertens

      ---