Re: [XTalk] The Passion of Gibbo

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
      Speaking of grist for the mill, this remark by Gibson
      about the holocaust is not as clear as it should be:

      'YOU'RE GOING to have to go on record. The Holocaust
      happened, right?" Peggy Noonan asks of Mel Gibson in
      the Reader's Digest for March.

      Gibson: "I have friends and parents of friends who
      have numbers on their arms. The guy who taught me
      Spanish was a Holocaust survivor. He worked in a
      concentration camp in France. Yes, of course.
      Atrocities happened. War is horrible. The Second World
      War killed tens of millions of people. Some of them
      were Jews in concentration camps. Many people lost
      their lives. In the Ukraine, several million starved
      to death between 1932 and 1933. During the last
      century, 20 million people died in the Soviet Union."

      You'll find this on the blog Volokh Conspiracy
      (http://volokh.com/), noted and commented on by David
      Bernstein (1/30/2004 07:03:14 AM).

      I'm something of a Mel Gibson fan and am waiting to
      see The Passion before I make a judgement, but this
      passage is troubling for its obfuscating answer to the
      question posed by Noonan. I post this here only
      because it would seem that Gibson's views are bound to
      be related to the issue of purported antisemitism in
      his movie.

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      Office: