RE: [XTalk] RE: Tyrian shekels

    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 26, 2004
      At 12:14 AM 1/26/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]

      Thanks. But then why do the initials appear only (?) on the Jerusalem shekels?
      They ought to be a mark identifying them as approved for use in Jerusalem
      or some such. Could they be a mark of Caiaphas, the high priest
      (archiereus), whose name was spelled with a Kappa? And is the mark on the
      coins a rho or a pi? If it was a rho, how come the quote says the initials
      were KP not KR?

      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      Northern Arizona University
      Flagstaff, AZ

      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 10, 2004

        >If we can reconstruct a rational and straightforward exegesis that
        >acknowledges all these threads, we might even prize Gordon away from his
        >minimalist corner!

        Hi Ernie,

        I don't think so:)!

        Gordon