Re: [XTalk] Time - water clocks

  • david cook
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      Athenian water clocks, (for all I know there may be other types) consist of
      two pots (upper and lower). The upper pot has a stoppable hole at the
      bottom but on the side (i.e. not through the base). This is set on a base
      so that water running out of it fills the lower pot. The clock can be
      stopped to allow for interruption, as one function for which they were used
      is measuring the speeches in the court, in which speakers had a time
      allocation, but certain kinds of material - witness statements, law texts,
      were not part of the allocation. In such a clock time might run out (if you
      look at the top pot, or be filled (if you looked at the bottom pot).
      On filling up eschatological measures (time, wickedness, etc.) I seem to
      recall a fairly recent volume, Das eschatologische Mass or the like, in, I
      think, FRLANT - I can not recall the details at present, but guess a recent
      commentary on 1 Thess 2,16 would provide the details, unless a lister with
      better access to a library can supply you with them.
      David Cook

      http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess