Re: [XTalk] Re: Jesus used to kiss her on the . . .

  • Steve Puluka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2004
      From: Mike Grondin <mwgrondin@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 10:24 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] Re: Jesus used to kiss her on the . . .

      > however, assumes that 'mouth' would carry a romantic connotation.
      > Not necessarily. Consider GPhil 58:29-59:5 (Isenberg tr):
      >
      > "It is from being promised to the heavenly place that man [receives]
      > nourishment. ... [had] the word gone out from that place, it would
      > be nourished from the mouth and it would become perfect. For it is
      > by a kiss that the perfect conceive and give birth. For this reason
      > we also kiss one another. We receive conception from the grace which
      > is in one another."
      >
      > No more romantic than the "kiss of peace", it seems.

      Mike,

      Your point is well taken for the time of composition. But the kiss of peace
      has been restricted to clergy in the Byzantine liturgy precisely because it
      had become too "romantic" when done by the faithful. The current practice
      is for clergy to kiss each others shoulders instead.

      Steve Puluka
      Masters Student SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Pittsburgh
      Cantor in the Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
      http://www.geocities.com/spuluka