Re: [XTalk] Mel's Movie

  • Z. A. Crook
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
      It is an awesome artifact, an overpowering work. I can't remember being
      so affected by a film before. It is as close to a religious experience
      as art can get." - David Horowitz, Author, Civil Rights Activist

      A "Civil Right's Activist"? I love it! Horowitz is a (self identified)
      ultra right-wing conservative. His definition of civil rights includes
      belittling anti-war protest (claiming the Vietnam War was lost because
      of student demonstrations; thus so too Iraq), and being part of a
      movement to *force* universities to hire more conservatives. Such an
      endorsement only confirms the problems with the film that others have
      been pointing out.

      In today's Globe and Mail (Toronto) there was an article indicating the
      unqualified support of 800 various clergy members after a private
      screening in Winnepeg (capital of the provine of Manitoba).

      Zeb
      --
      Zeba A. Crook
      Carleton University

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
        Zeba Crook" quoted:

        <It is an awesome artifact, an overpowering work. I
        can't remember being so affected by a film before. It
        is as close to a religious experience as art can get."
        - David Horowitz, Author, Civil Rights Activist>

        Then remarked:

        < "Civil Right's Activist"? I love it! Horowitz is a
        (self identified) ultra right-wing conservative. His
        definition of civil rights includes belittling
        anti-war protest (claiming the Vietnam War was lost
        because
        of student demonstrations; thus so too Iraq), and
        being part of a movement to *force* universities to
        hire more conservatives.>

        Horowitz is also a self-identified 'civil rights'
        activist, claiming the title due to his earlier,
        sixties-era (Marxist) radicalism, when he supported
        the Civil Rights movement, and due, as well, to his
        current opposition to racial quotas, which he thinks
        are not consistent with civil rights.

        Whatever one may think of Horowitz's
        self-designations, he's an odd choice to recommend a
        film. I wonder if the PR people confused him with
        Michael Horowitz, who works on behalf of persecuted
        Christians.

        For more on this Horowitz, see his bio at the Hudson
        Institute:

        http://www.hudson.org/learn/index.cfm?fuseaction=staff_bio&eid=HoroMich

        His work against religious persecution is well-known
        among Christians and Jews, so he would be a better
        choice than David Horowitz.

        But this is all way off-topic, for which I apologize.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        Office:

        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City