RE: [XTalk] Westcott (shameless springboarding to 1 Cor 15)

  • Davis, Robert C.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2004
      Ken:

      The question, I believe, would probably have been irrelevant to Paul. It would have been the fact of the appearing, not the timing, that would have interested him.

      The punch line for that passage comes in the part you leave out as the "etc.": that lastly Christ appeared to Paul!!! This was asserted by Paul as evidence for his claim to be an apostle, something not recognized by those "original" apostles in Jerusalem, and perhaps not even by some of the factions in Corinth. Thus what Paul is offering here is "proof" that he himself fits the definition of apostle, as being one with personal knowledge/contact with Jesus--even if it was in this case the risen Jesus.

      All the best,

      Robert Davis
      Pikeville College