Re: women beggars?

  • Marcia Dietrich
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hello Jim,

      I believe that a big problem for women who were widowed (or divorced)
      and didn't have someone to care for them was they'd often end up in
      prostitution.

      A man with no one to care for him, and would be most likely only in
      cases where he simply couldn't work, would only have begging as an
      option. Being a male prostitute wouldn't be a popular choice within
      Jewish communities, being sick he couldn't travel far and wouldn't be
      desirable in the pagan communites.

      That is an only slightly educated guess.

      Marcia

      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Jim West <jwest@h...> wrote:
      > When the Synoptics speak of beggars, it seems that they are always
      male.
      > Was there a sociological stigma associated with female beggary?
      Why do the