women beggars?

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      When the Synoptics speak of beggars, it seems that they are always male.
      Was there a sociological stigma associated with female beggary? Why do the
      Gospels not mention any women beggars (that I can recall).

      Thanks

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org -- Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com --- Biblical Theology Weblog

      Bad exegesis is no less worse than bad conduct.
      Tertullian, On Purity
    • Marcia Dietrich
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hello Jim,

        I believe that a big problem for women who were widowed (or divorced)
        and didn't have someone to care for them was they'd often end up in
        prostitution.

        A man with no one to care for him, and would be most likely only in
        cases where he simply couldn't work, would only have begging as an
        option. Being a male prostitute wouldn't be a popular choice within
        Jewish communities, being sick he couldn't travel far and wouldn't be
        desirable in the pagan communites.

        That is an only slightly educated guess.

        Marcia