Re: [XTalk] supposed ossuary of Peter in Jerusalem

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      Marcia Dietrich wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I'm not a regular contributer, but remembered this group had a lot of
      > great information and discussion on the James ossuary when that was a
      > hot topic.
      >
      > Was wondering if anyone here knows anything on this:
      > http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm
      >
      > Supposedly Peter's bones found in a grave in Jerusalem.
      >
      > First I find the website source itself questionable (it is
      > antiCatholic), then in a quick read I see that the ossuary is only
      > marked "Simon bar Jona(h)" and not marked as being Peter which I
      > would expect.

      > So is there any tradition (direct testimony) that Peter died and was
      > buried in Jerusalem? Is this 1953 find one that was long ago
      > dismissed with good reason? Any credence at all to this claim?

      I met the author of this self published piece some time ago. Let's just
      say that both (a) the title of the larger "book" from which it comes,
      namely, _Rome in the Red_ , as well as (b) the basic (faulty) premise
      underlies all you'll find there and that the author was "arguing" from,
      namely, that if one could show that the bones of Peter had not been
      found under St. Peter's basilica was wrong, then the whole of
      Catholicism and Catholic doctrine collapses, shows that this is hardly
      top notch scholarship..

      To get a good initial grounding in the just what the traditions about
      Peter's death and burial are as well in how they have been viewed by
      critical scholarship, you would do well to look at Chapter 13 (Death and
      Burial at Rome) of Michael. Grant's _St. Peter_ (Scribner, 1994).

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Marcia Dietrich
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2004
        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
        <jgibson000@c...> wrote:

        > I met the author of this self published piece some time ago. Let's
        just
        > say that both (a) the title of the larger "book" from which it
        comes,
        > namely, _Rome in the Red_ , as well as (b) the basic (faulty)
        premise
        > underlies all you'll find there and that the author was "arguing"
        from,
        > namely, that if one could show that the bones of Peter had not been
        > found under St. Peter's basilica was wrong, then the whole of
        > Catholicism and Catholic doctrine collapses, shows that this is
        hardly
        > top notch scholarship..
        >
        > To get a good initial grounding in the just what the traditions
        about
        > Peter's death and burial are as well in how they have been viewed by
        > critical scholarship, you would do well to look at Chapter 13
        (Death and
        > Burial at Rome) of Michael. Grant's _St. Peter_ (Scribner, 1994).
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson

        Many thanks Jeffrey,

        The book you recommended is quite a bargain so will probably check
        that out. Amazon.com has it listed as _Saint Peter: A Biography_ by
        Michael Grant (Scribner 1995) if anyone else is interested.

        Marcia