Re: [XTalk] Caird reference

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 19, 2003
      From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:37 PM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Caird reference

      > Karel Hanhart wrote:
      >
      > > Should it not be taken into account, that in the Gospels we are
      > > dealing with
      > > religious literature, specifically with first century Jewish religion?
      >
      > I thing this is a rather question begging declaration.
      >
      > > For
      > > words like messiah, sabbath, passover etc. were terms specifically
      > > Jewish
      > > terms.
      >
      > But they also appear in Jewish literature which is not specifically
      > "religious", whatever that term means. So the conclusion that literature
      > which contains these terms is by definition religious literature, is a
      > non sequitur
      >

      > > The citations are from the Septuagint. Now the miracle stories are so
      > > astounding - commanding the winds to lie down, walking on water,
      > > multiplying
      > > bread - that they invited the reader/hearer - to find a clue to their
      > > meaning or to ask an authority about it.
      >
      > Again, petitio principii, I fear.

      In this manner, Jeffrey, we can argue ad infinitum. I maintain that the
      writing about Passover, heaven, God, the law of Moses and the citing of the
      Septuagint is religious literature. It is your perfect right, of course, to
      classify this statement as a petitio principii and to deem such writings
      perhaps to be secular documents. However, we are certainly dealing with
      literature. So the question is warranted: how do you classify this
      literature?

      cordially,

      Karel