Re: [XTalk] Gospel of Mary Magdalene -- > Peter vs. Mary

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 18, 2003
      From: "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 5:48 AM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Gospel of Mary Magdalene -- > Peter vs. Mary

      > --- Karel Hanhart wrote:
      > > [Mark] wrote for first century Jews ...
      >
      > Then why was it necessary to explain to the reader that:
      >
      > "The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they carefully
      > wash their hands, thus observing the traditions of the elders; and
      > when they come from the market place, they do not eat unless they
      > cleanse themselves; and there are many other things which they have
      > received in order to observe ..." (Mk7:3-4)
      >
      > Since Steve alludes to such passages as this in his assertion that
      > GMk was written for Gentiles, the ball seems to be in your court
      > to explain the presence of such passages, rather than merely
      > contradicting Steve's position without explanation. Should one
      > assume that your position is that canonical GMk was redacted or
      > edited for Gentiles? If so, do you have any guess as to when this
      > happened, or how extensive a revision it might have been?
      >
      > Mike Grondin
      > Mt. Clemens, MI
      >
      > Dear Mike,

      You are right, of course. The ball is in my court with a brief comment like
      that. The question of the addressees of Mark's Gospel is shrouded in mist
      and our knowledge of such introductory questions is therefore limited. My
      comment was based on the fact that Mark never cites non-Jewish authors but
      frequently refers to Tenach. His subject matter is a first century Jewish
      Passover story with rather complicated midrashim. Evidently, Gentile
      readers were included in the community for which Mark wrote, traditionally
      Rome. And Mark added his comment for that reason.
      Since it has been recognized that canonical Mark was the result of redaction
      and since in his epilogue he refers to LXX Isa 22,16, I take it that the
      redaction took place after the destruction of the temple. The number of
      Gentiles joining the
      ecclesia apparently warranted this explanatory note, because the Gospel was
      read out loud in the worship service.

      These remarks are admittedly too brief. But the type of scholarly exchange
      through doesn't permit lengthy argumentation.

      cordially,

      Karel

      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      > List managers may be contacted directly at: