Zachariah & Simeon: 2 more articles

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2003
      The 17 Dec. Christian Science Monitor has an article on the Greek inscriptions
      on the "Tomb of Absalom." One minor note: it says Jerome wrote that Zachariah
      (father of John the Baptist), Simeon (of Luke 2 [and maybe also in Josephus as
      Simon the Essene]), and James brother of Jesus were buried together. It may be
      that they meant to report that it was Theodosius, c. 500, in Topography of the
      Holy Land 10, who wrote that.

      The 16 Dec. Jerusalem Post (and, I hear, the weekly int'l. ed.) also has an
      article
      http://www.jpost.com (requires registration; see Features). The latter article
      includes many mistakes. E.g., Greek letters were first noticed by an art
      history student, not by viewing the monument directly, but in a particular
      photograph. And the article mixes up which inscription relates to Lk. 2:25.
      And it gives the wrong century for the opening of the Cairo Geniza (E. Puech
      in Rev. Biblique July 2003 gives that text).

      By the way, the claim that this monument was the Tomb of Absalom, as far as I
      know, goes back only to medieval times. A "yad Absalom" is mentioned in the
      Qumran Copper Scroll X, 12, but that does not necessarily refer to this
      location. 3QCu XI, 3 also mentions a Tomb of Zadok, which possibly could be of
      interest in this context, given the dikaios/zadok/zedek relations to these
      people.

      http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1218/p14s01-wome.html

      best,
      Stephen Goranson

      P.S. I don't know for sure, but Dateline NBC may have Joe Zias on sometime,
      commenting on crucifixion history compared/contrasted to the Gibson Passion
      movie.