Re: [XTalk] Rikk Re: Messiah in spite of himself

  • Ted Weeden
    Message 1 of 76 , Dec 3, 2003
      Bob Schacht wrote Monday, December 01, 2003:

      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Rikk Re: Messiah in spite of himself.

      > >And Mark, rather than overtly claim that Jesus was the Davidic Messiah,
      mainly makes the point that there were among the public those who regarded
      him as a Davidic Messiah, in the Blind Bartimaeus story (Mark 10), and in
      the Triumphant Entry (Mark 11: 10). And contrary to your thesis, in Mark
      12:35-37 he argues that the Messiah is *NOT* the son of David. Only in Mark
      2:25 does he appear to hint at a comparison between himself and David, but
      the claim is far from explicit. So it seems to me to be far from clear that
      Mark is "insisting" on a Davidic Messiah. Indeed, he seems to reject it. He
      even has the Romans kill off this "Davidic Messiah," and while he has an
      Empty Tomb story, it is less a triumphant resurrection than any of the
      other Gospels. In other words, Mark seems to deliberately undermine the
      concept of Davidic Messiah. Instead, as Weeden has claimed, Mark bases his
      Christology more on the Suffering Servant image of Isaiah. Mark, through
      Peter's confession, says in effect, "Yes, Jesus was the Christ, but he
      wasn't the Christ you thought he was going to be!" <<

      [snip]

      > > In fact, I think Weeden would disagree
      > > with your characterization of Mark, if he would re-emerge from Lurkerdom
      > > long enough to tell us.

      Bob, I have been away for an extended time at SBL and Thanksgiving with
      family and with the need to catch up on a number of fronts. As a result I
      only in the last day or so read the various contributions to the thread,
      "Messiah in spite of himself." I appreciate very much you representing my
      position in several posts.

      I have decided now to put some other pressing things aside for the moment
      and present a full and revised statement on my position, which will also
      include a reply to Vincent Sapone's response to my thesis that Mark uses the
      Mary Magdalene tradition in his cause celebre to defrock Peter. It will be
      a lengthy essay/article, which will also incorporate, because it is germane,
      an essay which appears no longer to be in the Xtalk archives or Kata Markon
      archives where it appeared in May 2000. In an off-list post to Jeffrey
      Gibson, he has suggested that I send the essay I am preparing to him and he
      will upload it to the Xtalk articles page. I hope to get this to Jeffrey
      by sometime next week, if possible.

      Thank you for your interest in my emerging from "lurkerdom" and responding
      to some of the significant issues posed in this thread.

      Best regards,

      Ted
    • Ted Weeden
      Message 76 of 76 , Dec 18, 2003
        Dear Listers,

        I had indicated two weeks ago that I would submit my own response to
        article which Jeffrey Gibson has offered to upload to the Xtalk articles
        page. With the demand of other matters, it has taken far longer than I had
        envisioned to complete the article. And with the holidays at hand, it
        looks like I cannot get this article out until after the first of the year.
        I plan in the article not only to deal with matters related to the "Messiah"
        thread but also to incorporate in it issues related to the "4Q521" thread
        and the "Gospel of Mary Magdalene" thread, which I had introduced.

        Happy holidays to you all.

        Ted Weeden