Re: [XTalk] Gospel of Mary Magdalene

  • Ted Weeden
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 26, 2003
      Bob Schacht wrote:
      Saturday, November 22, 2003":

      > But how about Karen King's The Gospel of Mary of Magdala?

      > The Gospel of Mary of Magdala: Jesus and the First Woman Apostle, by Karen
      > L. King , published this month by Polebridge Press.
      >
      > Although the document itself has been known for a while and was first
      > published in 1955, King here publishes two versions of the fragmentary
      > document, apparently revealing only about 50% of the original. The
      original
      > document was reportedly written in the second century, indicating that it
      > belongs in the class of early Christian writings. King has published on
      the
      > Gnostics before (e.g., _What Is Gnosticism?_), and this seems to be an
      > early gnostic text. But does it preserve the memory of some important
      > historical issues?
      >
      > For example, was Mary of Magdala actually one of the apostles?

      [snip]

      > Also, the manuscript apparently touches on the issue of who was considered
      > authoritative about the message of Jesus in the decades following the
      > crucifixion. Peter? James? Paul? or was perhaps even Mary an important
      > witness to the message of Jesus?
      >
      > Does anyone have the book? Anything in it of interest to us?

      Bob, I have the book and have read it. It is a very important book and well
      worth discussing here, though due to publishing commitments I now have with
      respect to my "Two Jesuses" thesis, unfortunately, I do not have time to
      engage in such a discussion.

      Suffice it to say, Karen makes a very good case for Mary Magdalene having
      been a disciple of Jesus and having had the first resurrection experience of
      Jesus, and thus being an original "apostle." Subsequently, she and Peter
      are pitted against each other in the earky Jesus movement as authorities for
      diverse Jesus traditions. Matthew and Luke are pro-Peter (John, also, to
      a certain extent) and try to undermine Mary's authority and put her "in her
      place," namely, as an informer (or as Dom Crossan characterized her at the
      SBL in Atlanta, as a "secretary" to the male apostles) of the resurrection,
      via the empty-tomb episode, but not an apostolic authority for the Jesus
      tradition.

      Based upon Karen's work, I am working on the thesis that the Gospel of Mark
      is anti-Peter and Mark uses the Mary tradition as the coup de grace in his
      vendetta against Peter and the disciples from 15:40-16:8, with 16:8 as the
      final blow to the apostolic authority of Peter, i.e., Mary (and her two
      cohorts) narratively never reported out the message of the young man in the
      tomb to anyone, a narrative defrocking clincher that Matthew and Luke
      "correct" by reporting a Petrine resurrection experience, thereby restoring
      Peter to apostolic status.

      Ted Weeden
    • Karel Hanhart
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 18, 2003