Re: [XTalk] Re: origins of the doctrine of atonement

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 12, 2003
      Crispin Fletcher-Louis wrote:

      > Richard, Geoffrey, Liz and all,
      > I've come in a little late to this fascinating discussion about the
      > high
      > priest in atonement. But may I offer a few observations:

      > suggested this
      > high priestly context for atonement before?' I would suggest this is
      > because
      > the high priest has been ignored, period. (see my article at
      > http://www.marquette.edu/maqom/jesus.pdf)
      >
      > 2. Richard's ideas need now to be supplemented by a consideration of
      > Margaret Barker's thesis that the goat 'lyhwh' on the Day of Atonement
      > is a
      > substitute for the high priest (who plays the role of YHWH) in the
      > cultic
      > drama. It is the blood of this goat that makes the atonement (in the
      > pre-eminent act of atonement) as a substitute for the life (i.e.
      > Death) of
      > the high priest/yhwh. (See e.g. M. Barker, The Revelation of Jesus
      > Christ
      > (Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark, 2000), 45 ...; M. Barker, The Great High
      > Priest.
      > The Temple Roots of Christian Liturgy (London: T. & T. Clark, 2003),
      > chapter
      > 3). In both books Barker has fascinating interpretative observations
      > on a
      > number of late second temple texts to support her thesis.

      Thanks for this. I look forward to reading your paper. May I note,
      though, that one of my reasons for not seeing the "death" of the high
      priest, whether on the Day of Atonement or not, as the origin of the
      belief in the atoning significance of Jesus is that the language used to
      describe the significance of Jesus death -- especially in Paul and in
      his "died for us/our sins" formula (the background of which is largely
      Greek) ---- has little in common with the imagery or the language
      surrounding the Temple cult and never seems to allude to the DoA..

      Perhaps you deal with this in your article?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Brian Trafford
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 13, 2003
        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
        <jgibson000@c...> wrote:
        mula.pdf

        Hi Jeffrey

        Would it be possible for you to link this particular essay into the
        XTalk archives?

        Thank you,

        Brian Trafford
        Calgary, AB, Canada
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 13, 2003
          Brian Trafford wrote:

          > --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
          > <jgibson000@c...> wrote:
          > mula.pdf
          >
          > Hi Jeffrey
          >
          > Would it be possible for you to link this particular essay into the
          > XTalk archives?

          It's now at:

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1