Re: [XTalk] "siritual significance"

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2003
      From: Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 1:22 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] "siritual significance"

      > Matthew Estrada wrote:
      >

      > > I do not claim that the NT gospel writers, in applying
      > > "allegorical" or "midrashic" interpretation to OT
      > > texts, thereby negate the historical significance of
      > > THOSE texts (this is a whole other study, which would
      > > indeed be interesting). My claim is that these new
      > > texts that the NT writers are "creating" from, in
      > > part, OT texts are doing so not to deceive, nor with
      > > the belief themselves that these stories actually took
      > > place, but are rather creating them to communicate a
      > > spiritual significance.

      Jeffrey Gibson asked:
      > I wonder if you could unpack the welter of assumptions that stands
      > behind this assertion? Just what is "spiritual" significance?

      Jeffrey,

      What about 'eschatological' signifcance? Matthew Estrada raises some
      important questions. All four Gospel authors refer to the Hebrew Bible and
      the LXX.
      Since at least two and probably three of them were Judean authors, should we
      not take the contemporary Judean way of communicating truth through midrash
      serieously?
      Am I detecting a note of dismissal of those who use their method of midrash,
      i.e.
      'searching the scriptures'? If so, I am somewhat puzzled why this might be
      so. But perhaps the note I thought I was detecting, was not there at all.

      Cordially

      Karel

      we not take