Re: [XTalk] Crucifixion/Resurrection Dated

  • bobkaster
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 11, 2003
      Hello Steve,
      I remembered an old reference to an eclipse when Jesus died not being
      possible. Julius Africanus (A.D. 221) cited Thallus' (A.D. 52
      non-Christian) explanation of the darkness as being caused by an
      eclipse. He argued that an eclipse is not possible during a full
      moon, and Passover always occurs during a full moon.

      http://www.synaxis.org/ecf/volume06/ECF06IIITHE_EXTANT_FRAGMENTS_OF_THE_F.htm

      XVIII.(8) On the Circumstances connected with our Saviour's Passion
      and His Life-giving Resurrection.

      On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the
      rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other
      districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book
      of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of
      the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day
      according to the moon, and the passion of our Saviour fails on the day
      before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when
      the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time
      but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last
      of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse be
      supposed to happen when the moon is almost diametrically opposite the
      sun?

      Bob Kaster,
      White Lake, MI

      http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0033Mar19T.gif