Re: [XTalk] ANQRWPOI in the Gospel of Mark

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
      Bob Webb wrote:

      > Jeffrey,
      >
      > I don't think this gets you to where you want to go, but one thing I
      > have
      > observed with respect to 8:33 is that Mark uses the verb EPITIMAW to
      > describe what Jesus does ("he rebukes"). This same verb is used by
      > Mark for
      > what Jesus does to demons (1:25; 3:12; 9:25), the wind in the storm
      > (4:39),
      > as well as the disciples (8:30; 8:33 [Peter]).
      >
      > It may be observed that it draws a parallel between the
      > disciples/Peter and
      > forces that oppose Jesus, of which there are three in Mark: the
      > demonic, at
      > times nature, and Jewish leaders. But, for your point, this
      > observation is
      > weakened by the fact that Mark does not use EPITIMAW with respect to
      > Jewish
      > leadership.
      >
      > These observations may, however, stimulate your thinking in other
      > directions.

      Thanks for this.

      But is it not more than a little curious that the Markan Jesus'
      declaration that Peter's view of a suffering Messiah is "of men" follows
      hard on the heels of his first prediction that the constituent members
      of the Markan Sanhedrin will reject and execute one who views
      Messiahship in terms of suffering?

      How about the Markan Jesus' continually reference to what the Scribes
      believe as demanded by God is really the views of ANQROPOI?

      Still brainstorming.

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Bob Webb
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003

        Jeffrey wrote:

        > But is it not more than a little curious that the Markan
        > Jesus' declaration that Peter's view of a suffering Messiah
        > is "of men" follows hard on the heels of his first prediction
        > that the constituent members of the Markan Sanhedrin will
        > reject and execute one who views Messiahship in terms of suffering?
        >
        > How about the Markan Jesus' continually reference to what the
        > Scribes believe as demanded by God is really the views of ANQROPOI?
        >
        > Still brainstorming.
        >
        > Jeffrey

        1. I don't think that declaring Peter's view as "of men" links to the
        preceding reference to the Markan Sanhedrin in 8:31 (as in your paragraph
        1). This seems to be stretching things.

        2. But your observation in paragraph 2 would, I think, carry weight. What
        texts did you have in mind?

        3. One small comment: in paragraph 1 you refer to "Peter's view of a
        suffering Messiah..." Hmmm... My sense is that Peter didn't have a view of
        the _suffering_ Messiah. Rather, his view of the _Messiah_ did not include
        the concept of _suffering_.

        Bob Webb.
      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
          I'm writing this from my home computer and thus can't
          be as specific as I'd like to be.

          Anyway, could the reference to Satan play upon its
          meaning as adversary? The impure spirits in Mark
          encounter Jesus as one who has come to destroy them.
          They, in turn, wish to destroy him (though without
          really having the power to do so). Those who crucify
          Jesus would thus be on the side of the impure spirits
          -- and recall that when the Pharisees accuse Jesus of
          casting out impure spirits by the power of Beelzebub,
          Jesus responds by turning the charge on them and
          accusing them of (unforgivably) blaspheming the Holy
          Spirit.

          There is a Markan tendency, perhaps, to divide the
          world into two camps -- those with the impure
          adversary and those with the Holy One of God (which
          draws upon the conflict between holiness and
          impurity).

          Does Mark present "men," generally, as God's
          adversaries? That might make the link between Satan
          and "men."

          I'm not sure if this moves you in the direction that
          you would like to go, but it might spur some ideas.

          Jeffery Hodges

          =====
          447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
          Yangsandong 411
          South Korea

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
            At 02:43 PM 10/2/03 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
            >At Mark 8:33 Mark has Jesus rebuke Peter and call him Satan because
            >Peter has shown himself with respect to his disdain for a Messiah who
            >suffers to be thinking the things of "men" (FRONEIS... TA TWN ANQRWPWN).
            >
            >I am toying with an idea that that there is a link in Mark between
            >"thinking the things of men" and "thinking as do the Markan enemies of
            >Jesus" especially the Temple Aristocracy.
            >
            >But is there?
            >
            >What if anything is there in Mark's Gospel that might
            >support the idea that for Mark the term ANQRWPOI is a reference to, or
            >a cipher for, or in some way synonymous with, the Jewish leaders who,
            >according to Mark, oppose Jesus?

            It seems like a tough case to make. I'd rather attempt to connect
            8:33 with 10:27 because both contrast God with humans.

            Stephen Carlson
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
          • Rbsads@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
              In a message dated 10/2/03 3:42:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              jgibson000@... writes:

              > What if anything is there in Mark's Gospel that might
              > support the idea that for Mark the term ANQRWPOI is a reference to, or
              > a cipher for, or in some way synonymous with, the Jewish leaders who,
              > according to Mark, oppose Jesus?

              Dear Jeffery,

              I am not a regular contributor and generally not qualified to make much
              contribution to this list, but it seems to me that TA TWN ANQRWPWN is explained in
              Jesus' comments to the crowd in the subsequent verses. The things of God
              involve sacrifice of own life for the goal of following, for the goal of
              discipleship.

              That would make TA TWN ANQRWPWN to be something like the pursuit of own life
              at the expense of discipleship. Such might very well describe Jesus' view of
              the Jewish leadership, but I don't think it describes them exclusively as a
              distinct group of ANQRWPOUS.

              As an aside thought, it has often seemed to me that UPAGE OPISW MOU is less
              of a rebuke for Satan to go away, as it is a command for the Satan in Peter to
              follow Jesus, a command to discipleship. I can find no other instance of
              UPAGE OPISW used as anything other than as a call to follow.

              Peace,

              Richard Smith
              Chattanooga, TN

            • Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                Rbsads@... wrote:

                <Dear Jeffery>

                You mean "Jeffrey" Gibson, not me.

                Jeffery Hodges

                =====
                447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                Yangsandong 411
                South Korea

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Horace Jeffery Hodges
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 9, 2003
                  Here's an 'noteworthy' article for our amusement:

                  http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_778195.html

                  Two Romanian astronomers, "Liviu Mircea and Tiberiu
                  Oproiu, . . . say Jesus died at 3pm on Friday, April
                  3, 33 AD, and rose again at 4am on Sunday, April 5."

                  Take their views with a grain of salt since they date
                  the crucifixion/resurrection to the year 33 by noting
                  that Jesus died at the time of a full moon (of course
                  -- it was Passover!) and that there was a solar
                  eclipse in 33 (perhaps so -- but not possible during a
                  full moon, so their logic immediately fails).

                  How professional can such astronomers be? (Besides,
                  hasn't this sort of thing already been suggested and
                  rejected for the same reason?)

                  Jeffery Hodges

                  =====
                  447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                  Yangsandong 411
                  South Korea

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Stephen C. Carlson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 10, 2003
                    At 01:06 AM 10/9/03 -0700, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
                    >Here's an 'noteworthy' article for our amusement:
                    >
                    >http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_778195.html
                    >
                    >Two Romanian astronomers, "Liviu Mircea and Tiberiu
                    >Oproiu, . . . say Jesus died at 3pm on Friday, April
                    >3, 33 AD, and rose again at 4am on Sunday, April 5."
                    >
                    >Take their views with a grain of salt since they date
                    >the crucifixion/resurrection to the year 33 by noting
                    >that Jesus died at the time of a full moon (of course
                    >-- it was Passover!) and that there was a solar
                    >eclipse in 33 (perhaps so -- but not possible during a
                    >full moon, so their logic immediately fails).
                    >
                    >How professional can such astronomers be? (Besides,
                    >hasn't this sort of thing already been suggested and
                    >rejected for the same reason?)

                    They didn't do what Hoehner already did and better.
                    If you take John's chronology, then 30, 33, and 36
                    are viable years (for some reason, Mircea and
                    Oproiu didn't extend to 36).

                    There usually is one total solar eclipse somewhere on
                    the globe a year, but many are over an ocean or other
                    non-inhabited area. For example, the next total eclipse
                    will occur on November 23, 2003, but you have to be in
                    Antarctica to appreciate it first hand.

                    There was a total eclipe on March 19, 33, but it was
                    visible only in the southern Indian ocean. Here's a
                    link to the map:

                    http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0033Mar19T.gif.

                    A total solar eclipse visible in Syria (and a partial
                    visible in Jerusalem) occurred on November 24, 29. Here
                    is a map:

                    http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0029Nov24T-2.gif

                    Stephen Carlson
                    --
                    Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
                  • Liz Fried
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 10, 2003
                      I haven't been following this thread, so forgive me if someone
                      already mentioned it, but Leo Depuydt has an interesting article
                      dating Jesus' ministry (beginning and end). He dates it to one
                      year 29-30. The article is in JAOS 122 2002.
                      Liz Fried
                      At 01:06 AM 10/9/03 -0700, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
                      >Here's an 'noteworthy' article for our amusement:
                      >
                      >http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_778195.html
                      >
                      >Two Romanian astronomers, "Liviu Mircea and Tiberiu
                      >Oproiu, . . . say Jesus died at 3pm on Friday, April
                      >3, 33 AD, and rose again at 4am on Sunday, April 5."
                      >
                      >Take their views with a grain of salt since they date
                      >the crucifixion/resurrection to the year 33 by noting
                      >that Jesus died at the time of a full moon (of course
                      >-- it was Passover!) and that there was a solar
                      >eclipse in 33 (perhaps so -- but not possible during a
                      >full moon, so their logic immediately fails).
                      >
                      >How professional can such astronomers be? (Besides,
                      >hasn't this sort of thing already been suggested and
                      >rejected for the same reason?)

                      They didn't do what Hoehner already did and better.
                      If you take John's chronology, then 30, 33, and 36
                      are viable years (for some reason, Mircea and
                      Oproiu didn't extend to 36).

                      There usually is one total solar eclipse somewhere on
                      the globe a year, but many are over an ocean or other
                      non-inhabited area. For example, the next total eclipse
                      will occur on November 23, 2003, but you have to be in
                      Antarctica to appreciate it first hand.

                      There was a total eclipe on March 19, 33, but it was
                      visible only in the southern Indian ocean. Here's a
                      link to the map:

                      http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0033Mar19T.gif.

                      A total solar eclipse visible in Syria (and a partial
                      visible in Jerusalem) occurred on November 24, 29. Here
                      is a map:

                      http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0029Nov24T-2.gif

                      Stephen Carlson
                      --
                      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      List managers may be contacted directly at:
                      crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                    • Karel Hanhart
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 10, 2003
                        From: Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...>
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 10, 2003
                          Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

                          <There was a total eclipe on March 19, 33, but it was
                          visible only in the southern Indian ocean. Here's a
                          link to the map:

                          http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0033Mar19T.gif

                          A total solar eclipse visible in Syria (and a partial
                          visible in Jerusalem) occurred on November 24, 29.
                          Here is a map:

                          http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0029Nov24T-2.gif>

                          Thanks for these links. I'm ever more impressed by
                          what can be found on the internet.

                          Jeffery Hodges

                          =====
                          447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                          Yangsandong 411
                          South Korea

                          http://shopping.yahoo.com
                        • Steve Black
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 10, 2003
                            Why are we assuming that this says anything about the date of the
                            crucifixion?
                            Is it not possible that the memory of an eclipse was conflated later
                            with the story of the crucifixion?

                            Steve Black
                            Vancouver School of Theology
                            Vancouver, BC
                            Canada
                            ---
                            Heretics have all the fun, that is until they get burnt at the stake...

                            On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 05:21 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                            > Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
                            >
                            > <There was a total eclipe on March 19, 33, but it was
                            > visible only in the southern Indian ocean. Here's a
                            > link to the map:
                            >
                            > http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0033Mar19T.gif
                            >
                            > A total solar eclipse visible in Syria (and a partial
                            > visible in Jerusalem) occurred on November 24, 29.
                            > Here is a map:
                            >
                            > http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhistory/SEplot/SE0029Nov24T-
                            > 2.gif>
                            >
                            > Thanks for these links. I'm ever more impressed by
                            > what can be found on the internet.
                            >
                            > Jeffery Hodges

                          • Horace Jeffery Hodges
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 10, 2003
                              Steve Black wrote:

                              <Why are we assuming that this says anything about the
                              date of the crucifixion? Is it not possible that the
                              memory of an eclipse was conflated later with the
                              story of the crucifixion?>

                              I can't speak for the others, but this was not my
                              assumption. Rather, I was noting some of the flaws in
                              using an eclipse to date the crucifixion since a solar
                              eclipse cannot, ever, occur during Passover.

                              Jeffery Hodges

                              =====
                              447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                              Yangsandong 411
                              South Korea

                              http://shopping.yahoo.com
                            • bobkaster
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 11, 2003
                                Hello Steve,
                                I remembered an old reference to an eclipse when Jesus died not being
                                possible. Julius Africanus (A.D. 221) cited Thallus' (A.D. 52
                                non-Christian) explanation of the darkness as being caused by an
                                eclipse. He argued that an eclipse is not possible during a full
                                moon, and Passover always occurs during a full moon.

                                http://www.synaxis.org/ecf/volume06/ECF06IIITHE_EXTANT_FRAGMENTS_OF_THE_F.htm

                                XVIII.(8) On the Circumstances connected with our Saviour's Passion
                                and His Life-giving Resurrection.

                                On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the
                                rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other
                                districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book
                                of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of
                                the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day
                                according to the moon, and the passion of our Saviour fails on the day
                                before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when
                                the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time
                                but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last
                                of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse be
                                supposed to happen when the moon is almost diametrically opposite the
                                sun?

                                Bob Kaster,
                                White Lake, MI